Alternator Belt recommendations for new 105amp alternator

Previous topic - Next topic

Patches

With the recent electrical upgrade came the new CMI 105 amp small frame alternator. For those who have made similar alternator upgrades, what belt manufacturer do you recommend for the 3/8" pulleys on your M25/M25xp engines?

Thanks,

Patches

KWKloeber

Posted many many times. 
The Dayco Top Cog is the best (Westerbeke dealer opinion not IMO.)
2nd best is NAPA HD. 
Search the forum and the numbers are there.
But there is variability so best to take a belt that fits or measure what you need.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Patches, I've been running my 100A externally regulated Blue Circle alternator since 2003 with a 3/8" Gates belt from Napa, 7395 length.  I have written extensively about the use of Small Engine Mode vs. amp (belt) manager, see the Electrical Systems 101 topic.  Both ES 101 and Critical Upgrades have specific alternator alignment important information - I was a test tube baby for Maine Sail's admonitions.  :D  A friend recently bought a new alternator, and I stressed these issues to him repeatedly.  There is no way to assure a new alternator will be in the same alignment as the old one, so go through those posts and get it right.  Once you do and manage the loads on the alternator, my experience is that a good belt will do just fine, although better and superior  belts wouldn't hurt.  And when you find the right length, buy a few more and you'll be set for years to come.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Patches : I agree with Stu on a Gates belt.  I'd start with a 7395 belt length and try that for size. 

Depending on your alternator pully, you might need one size larger or maybe smaller??  Most dealers will swap a belt back if need be!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788