Is the North Channel going to be open for sailing?

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

Is there any scuttlebutt about opening up the North Channel for American sailors this summer?
Hoping for good news.😊
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Dave Spencer

Paul,
No news at the moment.  As you likely know the US and Canadian governments have the border closed in both directions at the moment with only a few exceptions.  The current closure is set to expire on April 21 however, the closure expires every month and it has been routine to hear a low key announcement a few days in advance of the 21st advising that the closure has been extended for another month.  Everyone is keen to get things back to normal but at the moment, my sense is there isn't a strong appetite for either government to expedite reopening the border.  If you google it, there's lots of speculation (including mine) but nobody really knows.
I'll be cruising Georgian Bay and the North Channel all summer and hope that our American friends will also be able to enjoy sailing the North Channel this year.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

waughoo

I have the same issue here on the left coast.  The canadian gulf islands are a short hop north of my home port in Seattle and to me are some of the BEST places to explore.  I hope they open soon as I am looking forward to spending time there again.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

QuoteIs there any scuttlebutt about opening up the North Channel for American sailors this summer?
Hoping for good news.

Dave is correct, governments move to there own schedule.  I hope to return to the North Channel next season.  Do hope Canada opens up this season, would enjoy revisiting the north shore of Lake Erie.
You may find a GLCC webinar interesting, by Roy Eaton (Little Current Cruisers Net) the 15th. 

https://www.glccschool.com/open-classes

FWIW  I haven't renewed my customs decal.  My confidence isn't that high.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

Thanks for the info.
I am an optimist and did order my decal.😊
Hope to see some of you in the North Channel.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jim Hardesty

Paul,
Sent you a PM of an email I got from NEXUS.  Let me know if you don't get it.  Looks like we can enter, but need to quarantine.  That may work for some. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Paulus

Thanks Jim,
I received the same email.  I am going to call the number listed in the email tomorrow.  I also emailed CBSA today.  Hope to hear from them soon.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jim Hardesty

Paul,
Please keep us posted on what you find out.  Also returning to the US (legally) may have a batch of other restrictions. 
Here's hoping,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Paulus

Spoke with Nexus Canada today.  No changes at the present time for pleasure boats. Can not enter Canadian waters! There will be a new update after April 21. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jim Hardesty

From GLCC
Rear Commodore (Ret.) Brad Somers has asked that the following be forwarded to all GLCC Members :

REPORTING REQUIREMENTS for small vessels (private boats) in the U.S. & Canada... Great Lakes Region
As reported by Brad Somers, Rear Commodore (Ret)

Revised: April 21, 2021

Notice: Regarding Recreational Boating and Canada/US border

On April 15th US registered charter fishing boats were observed operating on the Canadian side of the Detroit River. Two of the boats were intercepted by Canadian authorities.  The occupants were fined and the boats directed to return to the US.

What is required for entry into the US/Canada has not changed from a Customs and Immigration point of view. But what now is forefront are travel restrictions from a Public Health point of view, and unfortunately, they may be subject to change on a regular basis.

The Government of Canada travel website has a good breakdown of what is expected of recreational boaters regarding border crossings.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/border
(Mar 31, 2021) Note: Check the bottom left corner of the page for 'date modified'.

To date I have not found a similar site from CBP or the US government.

In general, both countries, for recreational boating, consider their borders to be defined by the boundary lines drawn on the charts and it is anticipated that recreational boaters will respect these boundaries.

The exception is for boats in transit. (Generally being defined as boats traveling from one port to another port, both outside of the territorial waters being navigated, without stopping or deviating from the most direct route they are safely able to navigate.)

Canadian expectations for boats in transit are indicated in the web document above.

I contacted the Detroit CBP office and the Supervisor I talked with acknowledge they would also monitor their boundaries for local boating activities, but boats in transit should be acceptable. It must be remembered, without instructions and restrictions, being defined in writing, you are subject to the vagaries of local and personal interpretation.
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Paulus

Thanks, some additional info from CBSA

"The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) "Contact Us" is available for the public to ask general questions about the programs and services offered by the CBSA. For privacy and security reasons, the CBSA does not answer e-mails regarding personal or business customs cases, immigration-related situations, or third party requests. Information is provided in a general context only.

The temporary restriction on all optional or discretionary (non-essential) travel has been extended until May 21, 2021, and can be prolonged as necessary for public health reasons.

During this time, we are limiting travel to essential travel only. We are asking individuals not to travel at this time if it is not deemed essential.

Non-essential travel includes, but is not limited to tourism, recreation, and/or sight-seeing.

The Government of Canada is emphasizing the travel restrictions already in place between Canada and the United States (U.S.):

·        There is a temporary restriction on all non-essential travel, including tourism and recreation, at the Canada-U.S. border, including via international waters.
·        You may only travel between Canada and the U.S. on your boat for essential purposes.
·        You will be denied entry if you are travelling for non-essential purposes, like tourism, recreation, or entertainment.
·        If you must travel between Canada and the U.S. on your boat, all normal customs reporting procedures remain in place and you may be subject to additional requirements of the Quarantine Act."

Paul
PS:  They are going to update their info every 30 days.
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jim Hardesty

Thought I'd revive this thread.  Press releases say the border is open with restrictions, covid vaccine and maybe test.  Unclear to me if a test is needed.  I've looked at the sites and signed on the arrivecan apt.  Very confusing.  Has anyone crossed the Canadian border since it opened?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Craig Illman

I haven't crossed the border, but local news articles list:
1. COVID vaccination with appropriate wait period
2. Negative COVID test within 72 hours
3. A quarantine plan

Dave Spencer

Official information is here:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html
It appears that boats are permitted entry to Canada with similar caveats to land border crossing as of August 9, 2021.

However, speaking with a friend on the US side of Lake Erie who phoned the American Border Patrol on this subject, there may be some difficulty for American boaters returning to the United States if they cross into Canada.  This may or may not change when the current restrictions are set to expire on August 21, 2021.  The restrictions to non-essential border crossing have been renewed monthly since they were first imposed in March 2020 by both the USA and Canada until recently when the two countries' approaches diverged.  As of today (August 13, 2021), the following website lists recreation boat traffic as non-essential and therefore prohibited. 
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/07/22/2021-15573/notification-of-temporary-travel-restrictions-applicable-to-land-ports-of-entry-and-ferries-service
The USA may elect to loosen / modify the restrictions on August 21... or maybe not.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig