Crossthreaded handrails

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

The threaded rod in place on the handrail ahead of time will allow you to push the handrail into place through the cabin top from above without having to worrying about trying to hit/line-up the threads correctly using a bolt from below. Less chance to cross thread and fit pushing down from top. Also you could make your threaded studs by cutting of heads of long bolts with Dremel or hacksaw. Just be sure you have a nut on first so you can back it off after cutting to restore the threads at cut. Be aware that if you cut the SS bolt/rod with a Dremel, let it cool before you grab it with your fingers! Blister-city! Don't ask how I know :shock:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Having R & R grabrails on a C30, bene 36.7, and J/120 IMO and IME using studs as Noah suggests is the best way all things considered.  Just think, if you had studs then you wouldn't have gone through the rethreading that you did.
If you can locate the correct length double-ended studs you can go a lot faster and neater than cutting off rod or bolts.
Most likely McMaster, or Fasenal, or possibly Grainger would have the s/s studs. Buy the good hex and acorn nuts, not the cheapo that will strip.
Just 0.02.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

girmann

So as a follow up, I would probably put threaded rod the next time I have to do this. I also realized, once I got most of the handrail on, that the crossthreading happened because the hand rail isn't quite bent into position to fit the holes accurately. When I got to that last hole that was crossthreaded, I put the screw in and started tightening and realized that it was crossthreaded. Looking at it topside, the handrail was slightly off azis from the hole. Getting a helper got the handrail in position and the screw in correctly.

The other thing that the threaded rod gives you is the ability to do this without an assistant. Something I desperately needed. The person who helped me asked "How were you going to get this done without me? There's no way that would have worked without help!" I don't disagree.

Thanks for all your help!

Less Leaky,
Mark
Proud owner of hull #1488