Traveller Sheave / Pulley

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Looking for one sheave / pulley wheel for my 1997 C34 MkII.  Can be seized, don't mind as will be replacing ball-bearings.  Dimensions of sheave are 1 3/4 inch dia, 5/8 inch wide and 5/16 inch hole / bore.  So if you have recently replaced traveller and have a sheave / pulley that you don't want, will pay what you want plus postage.
Graham
C34 Mk II #1376 Smooth Jazz
Chichester, West Sussex, UK

waughoo

Suggest you call Garhauer.  They arent terribly expensive and they can make sure you get the right load charecteristic for your application.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Alex, he's in the UK.  Might be easier to try other means of contact than phone, but I recall Garhauer was always better at talking than electronic contact.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

Oops... jumped the gun without looking at the signature.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 06, 2021, 04:30:12 PM
Alex, he's in the UK.  Might be easier to try other means of contact than phone, but I recall Garhauer was always better at talking than electronic contact.

In this age of VOIP I think calling is dirt cheap.  Only real issue is adjusting for the time difference...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Graham

Thanks all, I did contact Garhauer (the manufacturer of my traveller) but they do not stock the sheaves I was after as they are at least 24 years old and now obsolete. Barton do a similar size diameter and width but slightly smaller bore.  So am getting them and will drill the bore out to 5/16 inch.  By the way I have found Garhauer really helpful over the years and in my experience they produce first class products delivered with first class service - great company.  Again thanks to all who responded.
Graham

waughoo

Glad to hear you got it sorted.  From what I understand Garhauer also does custom work too.  When exploring new deck organizers, they offered to have me send in what I had and they would make a triple with the same screw offset so I wouldn't have to re drill the deck.  As it turns out I went with one of their stock units and did re drill the deck, but I certainly filed that option away for the future.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Graham

Thanks Alex, the sheaves I was after were those for the traveller carriage not the end blocks to the traveller.

On your issue of the end blocks, I have two triple blocks and all six sheaves had seized.  I am told that the reason they seize is salt and lubicating oil (should not use WD40 or normal lubes) as they jam the ball bearings.   The jammed ball-bearings then wear down on one side and make indents in the housing.

I tried to get replacement sheaves, but could not find them; they are a slightly different size to those on the carriage 1 3/4" diameter, 5/8" wide with a bore of 3/8".  So I bought some Delrin (Acetal) 3/16" plastic ball-bearings; Torlon are better, but I could not find them at a reasonable price in the UK.  Took off blocks with the help of PB Blaster, took out sheaves and popped-out the old ball-bearings.  That will leave the outer ring and central core loose.   

Degreased, cleaned and sanded-back the housing (both outer ring and core); worth spending a bit of time to get them clean and smooth.  Then got two ice-cream sticks to raise the outer housing to line-up the ball-bearing tracks, placed all ball bearings for one side on the track and then used a flexible piece of plastic (indian take-away box lid) to cover all the ball-bearings and gently squeased them back into the track.  You need to use a flexible piece of plastic to cover them all otherwise the balls will pop out.  Turned the sheave over and inserted ball bearings on the other side.  Gave the new ball-bearings a few drops of "McLube One Drop" (what should be used to lubricate plastic ball-bearings) and assembled back together.  While you are at it, might as well replace the cam-cleats (Harken standard size -Height: 30mm - Width: 32mm) and replace securing bolts (UNF 10/32 x 1 1/2") and use a bit of Loctite Threadlocker - it also protects against corrosion.

Took me 4 hours to do and is much cheaper than getting an upgrade.  Hope you find this useful.
Graham