A word of thanks

Previous topic - Next topic

ewengstrom

I just had to do this....as I'm probably known for mentioning in a few of my posts, My wife and I have spent the better part of two years "bringing back" our pretty neglected 1988 C-34 "Ohana" from a boat that as I reflect back, was probably too far gone to be worth the effort. (like that has ever stopped me before......)
This past Saturday I buttoned up yet another pretty major improvement/rehab project and I just feel I need to reach out to many of you and to Rod at Compass Marine ("Mainsail") with a heartfelt word of thanks for the countless bits of information I used to successfully complete this project.
This particular project was upgrading the old and worn out group 27 batteries to a much more robust battery charging/management system including (4) Trojan T-105 batteries...along with a new alternator, Balmar 614-H external regulator, Sterling Battery Charger, Blue Sea ACR-I and Balmar SG200 battery monitor. I also added a new dedicated start battery located behind the engine just underneath the aft cabin berth.
After I ran the last wire(s), I did a final check of all connections and basically realized I was at the point where starting the engine and seeing how I did was all I had left to do.....and guess what???....everything worked as it should!!!!  :shock: (Yeah I know....it SHOULD if I did it all correctly.  :?)
I really do owe this feeling of success to two sources of information that helped me have the confidence to take this particular project on.....Compass Marine ("Marine How to") and the C-34.org message board and Wiki pages. Everything is there.....you just have to be willing to dig to get to the answer(s) you need......and sometimes don't want.
I'm not timid about tearing into anything....It's in my nature...I love the learning, and the work itself....but electrical work just doesn't come naturally to me and is just something I've never excelled at so I approached this project with caution....and a lot of studying.
So again....THANKS!!!! The support of this group, it's members, and to you Rod. You really do have a customer for life. (BTW....also LOVE the Bed-it butyl tape too...but that's another subject entirely.  :thumb:
Time to go sailing!!!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

Eric : HOORAH!!  i note that you have an early 1988 production hull.  Just want to make sure that you have the "wiring harmes" upgrade ?

Hope the "eyebrow teak" worked out OK

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Eric,

Your comments are much appreciated.  While we get involved in many, many discussions, it is heartwarming to learn "from real-world users" that our efforts to assemble, distribute and maintain important technical information is as of much help as we intended it to be.  Thanks again,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

Congratulations Eric on your major accomplishment, and just in time for the new season.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

ewengstrom

Ron, I seem to remember learning very early on that #564 was made in perhaps August or Sept. 1987 as a 1988 year model boat...I wish I knew where that came from but it seems to back up your comment about her being an early model 1988.
As for the wiring harness, yes the boat came with the "upgrade"....although it was very shoddily installed...wires were just cut, twisted together and taped. The fun surprise was that apparently the harness upgrade came with rather long wires....I found the excess coiled up into a thick loop between the fuel tank and aft cabin outer wall. Sooooo......I pulled the entire engine panel, rewired it and shortened and re-routed everything. I added a terminal strip in the engine compartment to make any future work easier to do...and of course while I was elbow deep in there I also did the glow plug solenoid upgrade so that end of the wiring system is already sorted out and working great.
Oh...and I guess I'll just work with the broken eyebrow's I've got...I did hear from the other fellow that he might have one to spare, but I haven't heard anything since then. Not a big deal.

Stu, sometimes you just gotta say "Thanks"!!! And I also did this to reinforce what a valuable resource the C-34.org site is....like folks don't already know that, eh???? 8)

Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

waughoo

Congrats to you Eric.  I too second the thanks to the brain trust that is this site.  It is a great wealth of information that I have relied on for decisions and leaning along the way.  Even WELL before I bought my boat.  Thanks to all who contribute.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

glennd3

I agree, I have used this site and the members on it to learn much about my boat. The members that respond often seem very nice and the few I have PM have been great. I have to say I get lost sometimes when you guys go electrical, but I still read the threads and learn. I see the catalina 34 group on facebook and someone will ask a question about the boat and I think just go to this site it has been discussed.

PS KWK Ken scares me a little:)
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

Quote from: ewengstrom on April 05, 2021, 12:56:10 PM
I also added a new dedicated start battery located behind the engine just underneath the aft cabin berth.

Just a quick question... what battery size did you go with for your start battery and did you manage to get it to fit in a box there under the berth.  This is my preferred set up and it is starting to bubble to the top of the list.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Alex- I used a group 24 flooded, sealed, 650 cranking battery—on a platform, inside a standard battery box. I did not use the box's lid, as there was very limited clearance above and the battery was sealed. The rails around the sides holding the box are attached with bolts and wing nuts to remove battery/box.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

ewengstrom

Noah,
I like your style sir....that's a good setup!!! I used a Group 27 deep cycle only because it was on sale and cheaper than the Group 24....
Mine is on the other side of the compartment under the large aft cabin floor access hatch, it's located right next to the water lift muffler. The reason for locating it there is because I want to put a divider in between the three access ports under the aft cabin cushions, any water that gets into that area below the prop shaft can slosh around and ruin whatever you have stored under there so separating the areas will keep things both dry and sorted. (future project...)
My setup also leaves virtually no room over the battery for a lid so Noah's approach may prompt me to change my installation up a bit.....
Hey.... there we go again!!!!! And yet ANOTHER great idea plagiarized from this site!!!!!! LOL....thanks AGAIN!!!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

Eric : Look in WiKi and you'll find the key to your Catalina number that is scribed on the upper right of the transom. It will tell you the model date and the date the "keel" was started and your hull number.

Fair winds

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ewengstrom

I asked for that....didn't I???.... 8)
Thanks for the link and info to trace her roots.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

scgunner

Eric,

Passion is always worth the effort.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273