shroud tang bolts

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

does anyone know where to pick up the compression tubes that go in the mast between the shroud tangs?  catalinadirect doesn't carry them for the 34, but states they're absolutely mandatory.  when i pulled the mast apart to repaint, the tubes and 5/8" bolts were pretty well corroded.  i managed to clean the bolts up.  they don't show any heavy pitting, but i might replace them anyway.

i don't have the tubes in front of me, but are they similar to sch40 unthreaded pipe?

something like this

https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-pipe-fittings/shape~straight/material~aluminum/standard-wall-aluminum-unthreaded-pipe/
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Ron Hill

mdid : I don't believe that those tubes are unique to just the C34.  I'd guess that possibly C30s & for sure C36s of the MK I vintage all had the same tubes? 

Try to call Warren Tandy (Catalina in FL.) @ 727-544-6681 and ask him about tube replacements. 

I'd change out those 5/8" bolts with some new stainless ones!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

mdidomenico

i'll put out a call to catalina and see what they can turn up.

it looks like the C30 shroud bolts are 1/2" vs 5/8" on the C34.  the C36 seems to use the same size bolt, but CD doesn't have a compression sleeve listed under the C36 categories either

i poked around mcmaster, i wasn't able to find a alu/stainless tube/pipe that matched the dimensions, but i did find a garolite tube

https://www.mcmaster.com/8527K138/

even though it's pricey, i was thinking maybe that'd be a better solution anyhow.  no corrosion, seems to have a fairly high tensile/compression strength.  but i don't fully understand the role of the compression tube beyond having some gorilla over tighten the bolt and damage the mast.

i agree on replacing the bolts.  even though they look okay, for $9 at boltdepot seems like real cheap insurance.

Ron Hill

mdid : it has been a few years, but as I remember I have nylon lock nuts on those bolts.  That makes me wonder why the internal tubed are that important.  Just tighten the nuts until everything is snug (no lateral movement) and a couple of threads show and you should be OK !?!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

The tube makes the whole assembly act as one.  If the tube is removed, the stainless bolt is likely to walk about and oval out the holes in the mast.  Additionally the compression of the tube makes the whole assembly stronger than the diameter of the bolt itself.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

mdidomenico

i found matching tubing at sailrite.  apparently it's 3/4" spline for 7/8" stainless steel tubing

https://www.sailrite.com/All-Hardware/Boat-Hardware/Tubing/Length/1-FT/Size/7-SLASH-8%22/type/Products?order=custitem_popularity

waughoo

Looks like the perfect solution!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte