Water in the engine compartment while on the hard

Previous topic - Next topic

David Discenza

I need help solving this mystery. My boat is a 1993 34'.I was checking on my boat while on the hard and discovered a pool of water under the engine. It wasn't there when she was pulled last fall. This water had to come from the elements. The question is, how? There's no evidence of leakage from the companionway. The hatch and companionway are covered by a tarp.

The cockpit is open to the weather. There's no dampness in the stern berth anywhere. I'm at a loss trying to understand where the water has come from.

Thoughts?
CTYP12441293
"Irish Lady"

Jim Hardesty

On my MKll would suspect emergency rudder cover.  Think that's what it's called, the cover/hatch for the top of the rudder post.  FWIW if you add your model, year, and hull number to your signature get more specific answers to your questions.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

David : My best guess is that the water is coming in from the overhead companion way track especially if the tarp is over the boom?
All 1993 C34s have a walk-thru transom.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

I will try again with searching.  I looked a bit but did not find anything of note.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

On the 34, would a bad cockpit drain hose leak to there?
Those were the source when I had gotten a ton of water into my 30.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

David Discenza

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 28, 2021, 12:57:18 PM
On my MKll would suspect emergency rudder cover.  Think that's what it's called, the cover/hatch for the top of the rudder post.  FWIW if you add your model, year, and hull number to your signature get more specific answers to your questions.
Jim

Jim,
Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought of that. I will check it out when I go to the boat this weekend. There's also a hatch for a washdown hose at the transom. I'll check to see if there's any way for water to get in there.
CTYP12441293
"Irish Lady"

David Discenza

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 28, 2021, 04:22:50 PM
David : My best guess is that the water is coming in from the overhead companion way track especially if the tarp is over the boom? 

A thought

Ron,
Thanks for your reply. The tarp is right on the hatch cover so I don't think that's it. Also, I saw no evidence of water staining on the inside of the companionway. I think Jim's suggestion of the emergency tiller hatch could be the culprit.
CTYP12441293
"Irish Lady"

David Discenza

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 28, 2021, 10:07:55 PM
On the 34, would a bad cockpit drain hose leak to there?
Those were the source when I had gotten a ton of water into my 30.

KW,
Thanks for your reply. There are no cockpit drains on my 34. She's a 1993 model. I was surprised there were no scuppers when I first inspected her.
CTYP12441293
"Irish Lady"

David Discenza

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 28, 2021, 12:57:18 PM
Jim

Jim,
You were spot on. I checked the cover for the emergency tiller and, sure enough, the underside was wet. There was also wet, sludgy material around the rudder post. Looks like I need a new gasket to solve the problem. Thanks for your help.   :thumb:
CTYP12441293
"Irish Lady"