Vberth limber holes/bilge pump?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

I used to move the mattresses and the cover out of the way to drain water that accumulated under the aft berth. I got tired of doing that, so added a small handy PAR pump under the head sink with a 1/4" tube that runs to the center of where the water pooled under the aft cabin. Now all I have to do is open the cabinet door under the head sink, a few pumps into a bucket and the water is gone.

I also glassed in a bulkhead to divide that area for tool storage. Can get a lot of tools securely stored in there.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

The above story occured to me as the one and only reason i would be interested in leaving it without limber holes.  That said, a sealed compartment ought to have its own bilge pump if it doesnt drain to the main sump.  To me, im not so sure i want another bilge pump to maintain.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

John W,

I like your bulkhead idea.  Seems like a good way to make use of a storage spot that would otherwise not be usefull. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

So I did some google enhanced searching and found a bit more on limber holes.  It appears that the aft cabin limber holes are not available to a Mk1 as the engine pan is different in the Mk2 than the mk1?  I found a post where a mk1.5 guy found a limber hole drilled but it did not communicate with the bilge.  Unfortunately the thread died out without a resolution.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jeff Tancock

Apart from that incident the only other time I had water in the vberth locker was when my anchor locker drain leaked. That's 23 years in the damp Pacific northwest. No need for a pump on my boat
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

ewengstrom

Love that bulkhead under the aft cabin area and already have that on my oh-so long list of projects. I think that's a great place for tool storage too but with water sloshing around under there they will live elsewhere until that bulkhead is done. Thanks for the pictures!!!! (inspiration!!!!)
Interesting thoughts on limber holes, as is often said on this forum...YBYC....but I do like the different perspectives.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waughoo on March 30, 2021, 08:58:45 PM
So I did some google enhanced searching and found a bit more on limber holes.  It appears that the aft cabin limber holes are not available to a Mk1 as the engine pan is different in the Mk2 than the mk1?  I found a post where a mk1.5 guy found a limber hole drilled but it did not communicate with the bilge.  Unfortunately the thread died out without a resolution.

Alex & others,

When Jon W. first bought his boat, he posted about the clearance under his engine.  It turns out his engine didn't have any clearance, whereas mine did.  Point being, we can't make generalizations like that.  I have a "ballroom" under my engine and have never had any water pool there, it all drains to the bilge.  I was surprised he has this construction, but he showed me pictures. 

On the other side of the coin is this:

https://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-drainhole.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ChrisOB

I added a limber hole to the Vee-berth. I have the plastic bow water tank (and the stern, and the port side somehow) so fixing the leaking anchor drain is very hard. It leaks a little if I am taking waves over the bow offshore. I'd like to fix the drain some day, but for now I used my long inspection camera thing that has a stiff wire from the bilge and drilled a tiny inspection hole from vee-berth side. Then once I confirmed clearance with camera, I drilled a 1/2 in limber hole from Vee-berth side. Been working well for a few years and a few thousand miles.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

oldcatsailor

Cleaning the speed sender under the v berth found the water had no where to go, drilled a limber hole but so I know that water is getting in there I put a cork in the hole ,same set up under the engine
Sail 1064 Tr wing keel 1990/

waughoo

Quote from: oldcatsailor on April 07, 2021, 05:11:36 PM
same set up under the engine

Did yours come with the limber hole under the engine tray or did you drill it?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte