cockpit wasp netting cover

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

we have mud wasps, where I keep my boat in the summer, and I found someone who will custom make a cockpit cover for me but i need to give him ideas of what I want it to look like.   Does anyone have pictures of theirs that they can share with me?  thank you

becki in detroit
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Ron Hill

Beckie : Those mud dobbers are impossible to keep out! 

The only area they build in that ticks me off is inside the mainsail cover, because their mud nests stain the sail cloth.  As far as a cover - guess you'd have to cover the entire boat??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Beckie,

I don't have problems with wasp.  Spiders are my problem.  I go to the Home Depo type store and get Home Defense Max spray it wherever the spiders on the top sides about once a month.  In the cabin keep a Hot Shot lasts a season. 
Then there's the biting flies. :shock: I'll be miles from shore and they come uninvited, bite hard and don't leave till near shore.  I've found nothing that really works.  Except tevex coveralls.

https://www.amazon.com/Ortho-Defense-Indoor-Insect-Barrier/dp/B08KH2W643/ref=asc_df_B08KH2W643/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276307365236&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=1290827007512060&hvadid=80676776181574&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276307365236&hydadcr=

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shot-No-Pest-Crawling-Penetrating/dp/B0019BK8AG/ref=asc_df_B0019BK8AG/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345015826705&psc=1

My previous boat was stored for many years, had a big mud wasp problem.  I was finding the old mud tubes forever.

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

Hi Jim
I gather the Home Defense spray does not discolor the fiberglass deck?  Do you just spray the perimeter of the deck?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHome Defense spray does not discolor the fiberglass deck?  Do you just spray the perimeter of the deck?

I use it generously pretty much all over.  Don't really spray deck, sure I get lots of overspray on deck, spiders aren't there they are hiding.  I do spray dock lines, inside anchor locker, inside cockpit lockers, any place spiders hide.  I've never had a problem with staining,  even use it on canvas where dodger and Bimini where they zip onto the frame.  Just keep it from the eisenglass.  Do it about once a month depending on rain.  Spiders coming out at dusk can sure ruin a sundown cruise for people not used to them. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

WTunnessen

Ironically, mud Doppler wasps primarily eat spiders.

I'm not sure a cockpit cover will keep them out. It might actually make it worse since they like hiding places to build their nests and cover would provide lots of shelter unless it's really tight.

I just try keep them out of the cabin and use the flip flop of death when necessary. Fortunately they are not aggressive and do not defend their nests. 
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

anaisdog

lazybone

One pair for mushing bugs and one pair to fling at the kids heads.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

anaisdog

okay, *that's* funny cause they don't want my combat boots flying to their heads

Robert Mann

Mud dobbers are impossible to keep out, the tighter the area the happier they are to get in there and mess stuff up.  Mast slots, inside the main sail, as Ron says, leaving big red Georgia clay spots, under the Bimini inside any locker.  A cockpit cover would be nice to have, but don't bank on it to stop these annoying critters
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

schupaul

Ron. I get them here also. To clean the stain. we use oxyclean and dishsoap mix. Works well.
Paul Schultz
1987 Hull 47#, Tall Rig, Wing Keel, MXP25, Cedar Mills Marina, Texas