Engine loosing coolant

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

pby :  A saltwater leak from your raw water pump can ruin a lot of metal parts below it - is an understatement!!!!

I've known C34 owners that have had to replace the oil pan because the raw water pump leaked and the oil pan rusted a hole!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

pby : Another thing to think about :
If your leak is coolant - that Prestone mix can do a job on an engine mount rubber!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 02, 2021, 10:15:28 AM

I've known C34 owners that have had to replace the oil pan because the raw water pump leaked and the oil pan rusted a hole!!!

AND one that nearly had to replace a gear cover!!  :shock: :shock: :shock:
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 02, 2021, 11:24:21 AM

And one that actually had to (Greg Sherwood, on SF Bay).  I don't think he ever found one, least last I heard.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Stu I COMPLETELY forgot about that.  Yes, I located him one in a boneyard.

Since then I've been trying to get my hands on half decent ones to refurbish and hold, just in case.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

waughoo

I had a leaking raw water pump and for all the reasons stated above, I put it at the top of the list when I found out.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : That's why you need to take a peek at the engine when it is running.  The MK I C34s have a door on the starboard side to look at the M25XP water pump and a door in the head to look at the M25XPB water pump. 

Those raw water pumps do NOT leak when the engine is NOT running!!!   :shock:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

I refilled the engine a couple of days ago and placed some shop towels around the engine.

It looks like the leak may be coming from high up on the engine at the rear of the manifold, where there is a connection that is wrapped in heat protection.  Also, it appears the hose on the heat exchanger looks cracked, and needs replaced.

I don't really know what I'm looking at or the implications.  Can anyone shed some light on what these photos are showing?
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

pbyrne

And of course the recover tank, which I think is just up for replacement.  I don't see anything wrong with the hose and it looks like there is evidence of the clamp to tank connection leaking.  Clamp tension looks ok, but may have been too tight and cracked the plastic.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

KWKloeber

I see drips hanging on at the bottom of the hose loop, but it looks like something was also leaking down the side of the hull, maybe from behind or at the top of the overflow reservoir?

The exhaust flange and exhaust riser is wrapped w/ insulation. 
If you have a leaky exhaust flange gasket or loose exhaust flange bolts, coolant can leak out from the exhaust manifold (It's screwy, but the gasket that sits between the exhaust flange and the exhaust manifold, separates the exhaust path from the coolant in the exhaust manifold.  if the gasket is damaged or on backwards, coolant is pushed out the exhaust.  For the leak to exit there, there would need to be a loose exhaust flange (joint open) otherwise coolant would simply exit out w/ the exhaust gasses.
A long shot to consider last.

FYI Westerbeke spray paints the engine (and hoses) when it's together so you MIGHT be seeing cracked paint that looks like a cracked hose.  I'm not saying don't replace it if it's "past its time."

Replace all the standard hose clamps w/ ABA or AWAB clamps!
ultimategarage.com
a good source, less $$$ than worst marine and Steeve is a good guy.

glennd3

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 06, 2021, 09:43:27 AM
I see drips hanging on at the bottom of the hose loop, but it looks like something was also leaking down the side of the hull, maybe from behind or at the top of the overflow reservoir?

The exhaust flange and exhaust riser is wrapped w/ insulation. 
If you have a leaky exhaust flange gasket or loose exhaust flange bolts, coolant can leak out from the exhaust manifold (It's screwy, but the gasket that sits between the exhaust flange and the exhaust manifold, separates the exhaust path from the coolant in the exhaust manifold.  if the gasket is damaged or on backwards, coolant is pushed out the exhaust.  For the leak to exit there, there would need to be a loose exhaust flange (joint open) otherwise coolant would simply exit out w/ the exhaust gasses.
A long shot to consider last.

FYI Westerbeke spray paints the engine (and hoses) when it's together so you MIGHT be seeing cracked paint that looks like a cracked hose.  I'm not saying don't replace it if it's "past its time."

Replace all the standard hose clamps w/ ABA or AWAB clamps!
ultimategarage.com
a good source, less $$$ than worst marine and Steeve is a good guy.

Ken would you know what size clamps would you order that would fit most the hoses on my boat? I would like to replace most of them.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

KWKloeber

Most on the boat or most on your engine?

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 02, 2021, 11:44:12 AM

Stu what did you end up using?  I know originally JB, but wasn't there another repair material you considered? 
Did you use that?

-k

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

pby : From your pictures, you definitely need to take off your coolant recovery tank and inspect it.  I'll guess that the tank is your problem.
To repair that tank pin hole?/crack?  I'd clean that plastic and use electric glue. 

I don't think that you need to replace your hose clamps - your choice.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788