Engine loosing coolant

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

Boat is on the hard from last season.  I live in Ottawa Canada so we haul out every winter.

-Port lazarette has signs of coolant leakage from the coolant recovery tank.  Can be kept tidy with a shop cloth changed every few days.
-Engine had low coolant at beginning of year last year
-Current level of coolant in engine is low
-Coolant is in the bilge

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start looking for leaks? Last season I kept topping up the recovery bottle, and checking coolant level in the engine before every sail.  I'd like to get this solved. 

Hopefully the pictures can help.  I haven't done my spring cleaning yet so the boats a bit manky!
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Ron Hill

pby : How about listing your hull number and production year.  It looks like you have a M35BC engine. 
I would put a fuel diaper under the engine and then watch it to see if you can spot where it is leaking.

You can also take a paper towel and wipe each hose connection an maybe spot a loose connection.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Roc

That looks like an M35B engine.  I seem to also find coolant, only in the winter on the hard, on the hull right below the engine. Not enough to spill into the bilge.  But then again, I keep a absorbent diaper under the engine at all times.  In my case, I believe it's comes from the connection at the hose (your top picture, hose on the right).  I suspect in the cold temperature, the contraction of the parts causes the hose connection to be somewhat loose, causing coolant to weep out. Also, I see pink stains in that area.  Never see a leak during the warmer weather during sailing season.  In your picture, I do see the paint in that area bubbling.  Maybe it's the coolant reacting with the paint which means maybe that's where your coolant is coming from.  Look underneath that area and trace down the engine and see if you see evidence of pink coolant remains.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

pbyrne

2000 MkII #1534

I have the year and hull number under my name.  Maybe it's more visible in the signature..?  I'll have to change it.

Good suggestion! What do you create a 'diaper' out of and I guess you make it larger enough to cover the area under the engine?

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 17, 2021, 02:39:52 PM
pby : How about listing your hull number and production year.  It looks like you have a M35BC engine. 
I would put a fuel diaper under the engine and then watch it to see if you can spot where it is leaking.

You can also take a paper towel and wipe each hose connection an maybe spot a loose connection.

A few thoughts

pbyrne

I see what you're referring too.  I didn't realize that might be a sign of coolant leak.

Your theory on contraction is what I was going with as well, however it doesn't explain the coolant recovery tank leak.  I've been to the boat today and have added the photos from the lazarette. 

I do think that the recovery tank is a separate issue, but it's a bit odd to have both at the same time...  not a lot to go with in the photos, but I'm think it could be the clamp under the tank that attaches the hose.  Seems very odd that it is loose too, but there's not many options for point of failure with the tank!

Quote from: Roc on March 17, 2021, 04:19:59 PM
That looks like an M35B engine.  I seem to also find coolant, only in the winter on the hard, on the hull right below the engine. Not enough to spill into the bilge.  But then again, I keep a absorbent diaper under the engine at all times.  In my case, I believe it's comes from the connection at the hose (your top picture, hose on the right).  I suspect in the cold temperature, the contraction of the parts causes the hose connection to be somewhat loose, causing coolant to weep out. Also, I see pink stains in that area.  Never see a leak during the warmer weather during sailing season.  In your picture, I do see the paint in that area bubbling.  Maybe it's the coolant reacting with the paint which means maybe that's where your coolant is coming from.  Look underneath that area and trace down the engine and see if you see evidence of pink coolant remains.

Ron Hill

pby : Sorry for not seeing your C34 info under your name!! 

Put another fuel diaper under your recover tank and check it's connection. Suck out the stuff in your bulge and dry it out!!   Then you can start to track down your leak.  Don't forget to check all of your hose connections - it's got to be more than a occasional drip to get that much in the bilge!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

As Ron said, it's a "fuel diaper" I'm referring to.  The diaper stops the coolant from making it's way to the bilge.  I plan on changing that hose and a new clamp, in hopes to stop that leak.  I have tightened the current clamp, but that does no good.  Your recovery tank leak is another situation.  My guess either loose connections, or maybe a crack in the plastic?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

pby : Your leak is so severe it should be easy to find - not just a simple occasional drip.

I'l bet it's a hose connection!!   8)

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Here's hoping!

Do you think it makes sense to change the hoses...?

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 19, 2021, 02:45:23 PM
pby : Your leak is so severe it should be easy to find - not just a simple occasional drip.

I'l bet it's a hose connection!!   8)

A thought

Jim Hardesty

QuoteDo you think it makes sense to change the hoses...?

My 2cents...Yes and No.  If it were me I'd find the leak/leaks first.  Then decide on hose replacement, if original they are 20 years old.  Haven't changed hoses on Shamrock yet but do give them a good look over.    I recommend you get a nut-driver that fits the hose clamps, 5/16 I think and possibly one with a flex shaft.   Then go over every hose clamp on the boat, just real screw driver tight.  Like the second tool here except mine doesn't have the flip socket.  Don't think that would be a good feature due to loosing the socket.
https://www.idealtridon.com/turn-key-and-hose-clamp-driver.html

Happy leak hunting,
Jim         
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Steve Hansen

Don't forget about the heater hose. Replaced mine just in time.
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Ron Hill

pby : Just take a piece of paper towel and touch the underside of esch hose connection.  That stain will immediatly let you know where the leak is!!

If the paper towel doesn't show up anything, then look to see if any part of each hose might be rubbing against something for a rubthru ??

FYI, That origional water heater hose is wire reinforced hose.

a few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Yikes! I'll check!

Quote from: Steve Hansen on March 20, 2021, 06:24:53 AM
Don't forget about the heater hose. Replaced mine just in time.

KWKloeber

This happened to one of our C30 owners.  Every spring, coolant found. All season and at lay up, no coolant drips.
It was a heat exchanger hose connection.

Like negative battery connections- check EVERY hose connection.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

pbyrne

I'll make sure to double check that connection.

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 20, 2021, 08:50:29 PM
This happened to one of our C30 owners.  Every spring, coolant found. All season and at lay up, no coolant drips.
It was a heat exchanger hose connection.

Like negative battery connections- check EVERY hose connection.