Grease for feathering prop

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

I searched the forum, and I found 2 references to Variprop and neither were what I needed so I thought I'd post!

I have a Variprop, and I need to grease it.  The below is from the manual, but ABMarine sells this stuff for a $60 USD plus shipping.  I find it hard to believe that it's that special.  Canadian Tire sells 'Marine Grease' that states it is for wheel bearings, trim systems, etc at nowhere near that price.  https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotive/oils-fluids-additives-chemicals/grease-gear-oils-lubricants/marine-grease.html

Can anyone tell me if the ABMarine product is the same as the CT stuff, or point me to similar?

"The propeller body must always be completely filled with a high viscosity grease. We recommend
synthetic grease typ TW.2 GEL or mineral multi-purpose grease EP/SAL 8 (see servicing page 10 )"
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

frankya

Lubriplate 130-AA. Available at NAPA, or your local auto parts store and also online from Amazon.

lazybone

Max-prop recommends boat trailer wheel bearing grease.    It's very waterproof.  I suspect good waterproofing grease is more important that lubricating. 

I use this stuff.  I've  never noticed any of it washing out.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Dave Spencer

I feel your pain pbyrne. 
I but the best, thickest, most waterproof grease I can find (usually at Canadian Tire) and grease my prop every fall at haulout to ensure the prop is purged of water and then again in the spring (likely not necessary).  The mysterious "special" Variprop grease seems very elusive, perhaps even more-so here in Canada.  I emailed the Canadian distributor for Variprop (Nautilus Variprop / Evolution Sails) seeking advice on grease or a source for the recommended grease and received no reply so far. 

The Lubriplate recommended above looks like a good option but is hard to find. It's on Amazon.ca in large drums and tiny tubes but nothing that would readily fit a grease gun. 

Instead, I try to use a calcium sulfonate grease meeting at least NLGI #2.  CTC, Lucas, Shell etc.  I haven't seen the LubriMatic Lazybones recommends but it looks to be similar to what I use.  The key seems to be keeping the grease stuck to the internal gears.  They don't move very often and it is certainly a low temperature application with the prop bathed in water usually between 5C and 35C.

I'll provide an update if I hear back from the distributor in Toronto.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Jim Hardesty

This is what is recommended and I use on my max-prop, the tubes of Lubriplate 130aa are $13 on amazon.  Always grease in the spring and there's plenty of grease remaining in the prop. 

https://store.pyiinc.com/collections/max-prop-parts-spares/products/max-prop-grease-kit

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

pbyrne

How are you applying it? 

BTW I was in contact with ABMarine who has it in the USA.  https://ab-marine.com/product/grease-epsal/

I'm interested in what the Canadian distributor has to say.

Quote from: Dave Spencer on March 16, 2021, 12:30:29 PM
I feel your pain pbyrne. 
I but the best, thickest, most waterproof grease I can find (usually at Canadian Tire) and grease my prop every fall at haulout to ensure the prop is purged of water and then again in the spring (likely not necessary).  The mysterious "special" Variprop grease seems very elusive, perhaps even more-so here in Canada.  I emailed the Canadian distributor for Variprop (Nautilus Variprop / Evolution Sails) seeking advice on grease or a source for the recommended grease and received no reply so far. 

The Lubriplate recommended above looks like a good option but is hard to find. It's on Amazon.ca in large drums and tiny tubes but nothing that would readily fit a grease gun. 

Instead, I try to use a calcium sulfonate grease meeting at least NLGI #2.  CTC, Lucas, Shell etc.  I haven't seen the LubriMatic Lazybones recommends but it looks to be similar to what I use.  The key seems to be keeping the grease stuck to the internal gears.  They don't move very often and it is certainly a low temperature application with the prop bathed in water usually between 5C and 35C.

I'll provide an update if I hear back from the distributor in Toronto.

pbyrne

That seems like a good option.  Does it fit connect to the fitting?

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 16, 2021, 03:08:52 PM
This is what is recommended and I use on my max-prop, the tubes of Lubriplate 130aa are $13 on amazon.  Always grease in the spring and there's plenty of grease remaining in the prop. 

https://store.pyiinc.com/collections/max-prop-parts-spares/products/max-prop-grease-kit

Jim

Jim Hardesty

I was mistaken was on ebay not amazon.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123432812718
It is just a grease gun, fits a regular zerk? grease fitting.  I use probably use it more on my snowblower than the prop, still a tube lasts years.
Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA