small ding on prop blade

Previous topic - Next topic

wingman

Discovered a ding towards the end of the prop blade. Looks like maybe the PO had smoothed it out.

Do I need to take any additional action, ie, will it affect the balance?

2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

ewengstrom

I ding that small probably won't affect performance or balance too much but if you have a prop shop near you and the boat is already out of the water then it won't hurt to have it re-balanced. We took our 15x9 three blade prop off this past spring and I had it re-pitched to 15x10 and balanced, the cost wasn't all that bad and I now have piece of mind that the prop is good to go....unless I wind up a crab pot or something equally as fun.
A balanced prop will also help your cutlass bearing last a bit longer. The cost in our area was less than $200 for this work so it was worth it to me. Just balancing the prop should be a good bit cheaper. (re-pitching was the expensive part)
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

KWKloeber

Zooming in, it appears to be ding not a chip.
Therefore the same amount of bronze mass is still there, just moved around a titch.  Not enough to pre-worry about - go sailing.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

wingman

thanks guys, getting the boat in the water and going sailing is definitely the plan! :D
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471