Anyone have a raw water pump they could spare?

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

I'm traveling on my C34 in the Bahamas and my oberdorfer raw water pump (N202M-16) is dripping via the weep holes... maybe a drop a minute.   If I didn't have 1000 miles to travel home, I'd just order and wait, but alas.

Problem is, the pumps are back ordered.   Rebuild parts have been ordered, but I'm on my boat, away from my shop and bench tools, in an amazing but remote area.

If anyone had one in their spares and didn't mind waiting the 8 weeks to get a new one, I'd happily make it worth your while!

Mike
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rmbrown

First, I checked with Ken Kloeber then CD.  CD says 8 weeks backorder.   Ken's honest and so tells me we don't know for sure when it might ship.  :)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

Sorry Mike. Wish I had a spare that wasn't on my engine. But I bet someone here has a back-up they could send you.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

David Sanner

I would start by checking your hosts & HX for build up, the added pressure can cause the pump to drip.

1 drop/min isn't that bad... I think you could get a Bahamas trip in there w/o worry about getting out of control (famous last words?)
Bring your rebuild kit.  Generally the don't just go from dripping to full failure.

Mine, even though it doesn't have that many hours on it is dripping ever 10 or seconds - or more when the hoses/heatX get some build up in them - it's been dripping for a few years - started only a few years after I replaced it.  I've finally got a rebuild kit which I'll pop in one day - it's not hard to rebuild.

Finally until it stops dripping I'd suggest a make shift cover for your engine mount to protect it from salt water.

Enjoy the Bahamas!  I hope a few drips hold you up.
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

rmbrown

I've been running this pump approximately 2 years / 500 hours (been a good two years.)

Dripping just started, but I'll be pretty remote until I'm back across the gulf stream and even then plan coastal passages for the return trip to NC.  I can always sail if the motor dies... assuming that there's wind, but most of the east coast inlets I've done, and especially the ones I've never done, I'd feel much better doing with a running engine. :)  I know that's when it will fail!

I replaced hoses and cleaned out the Hx last spring, and have replaced impeller twice since then with all blades accounted for.  Zinc replaced once since then.  Water flow and temp normal.  I can't say it's not back pressure but I'm guessing (hoping?) not.  Plus I pulled the pump shaft and found a discolored ring and tiny bit of scratching/wear on the seal closest to the impeller.

Rebuild kit is on the say, but I'd rather not do it on my cabin sole with tools on board.  I'd rather rebuild it on my bench at the house in two months!
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

MarcZ

there is one on    eBay item number:184667393860
PM me if you need help - I can order it then ship to you  ( ebay will only ship to paypal address)
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

MarcZ

93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

rmbrown

All good... but if you see another let me know!
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Stu Jackson

Mike,

You usually don't need a whole new pump.

Oberdorfer Pump Rebuild 101 - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html [Link added to main page of C34 Tech wiki]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rmbrown

Stu:

I'll definitely rebuild this one... just Ideally not on my boat in the Bahamas with limited tools.  :)

Mike
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Mike : Have you called DEPCO????   They have the best prices for an Oberdoffer pump and or Oberdoffer parts. 1-800-445-1656.

I've rebuilt Obdoffers on the boat - not that difficult to do!!  I adapted a small clamp on vice and a-fix it on to the flip up counter extension by the galley sink!  Then you can do/fix all kinds of things!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Guys : Don't kid yourself about a drip/minute as being OK.  Those drips will (especially in SALT WATER) drip down and eventually rust a hole in the oil pan - REALLY!!

Hope this get everyones' attention!!!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

Got mine, though I'm more concerned about a pump failure mid gulfstream!

I'll rebuild or replace in two months regardless.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC