Stereo removal

Previous topic - Next topic

girmann

Clearly I am failing some sort of intelligence test.

In my C34, the Sony stereo is mounted in a black box on the port side, behind the settee, inside the aftmost cubby. The stereo is mounted to this box...in some fashion. If I take the two screws that are to the left and right, it frees up a wooden plate that the stereo is mounted to. There doesn't seem to be any way to slide that plate out of the cubby. The stereo appears to be attached to that front plate. I've taken off the front plate and all the screws I can find, and I can't seem to separate the stereo from this detachable front plate. I can feel some metal tabs that is keeing the case of the radio attached to the front plate, however there's no way of getting to all of them - there's just not enough clearance to get a tool in there. Nor can I figure out how this all got in here to begin with. My next step was to take a multi-tool to the front plate and cut the thing out.

Before doing that, I figure I would post here.

Thanks for your help...

Mark  #1488
Proud owner of hull #1488

mark_53

Quote from: girmann on March 08, 2021, 09:16:17 PM
My next step was to take a multi-tool to the front plate and cut the thing out.
Then you will be left with a real mess.  Post some photos and keep looking.

Craig Illman

Often, vehicle stereos come with a pair of thin metal pieces about 1/4" W x 5" L that you slide in to release those tabs to remove the stereo. You might check with an aftermarket car audio store to get a pair if the previous owner didn't leave them in the Nav table.

Craig

scgunner

Craig's right, there's probably a security key required to remove the unit. I believe that was a security measure popular back in the '80s, you could insert the key(s)and the radio would just pull so you could take it with you or lock it in your trunk. It was a bit involved so later models had a button which would pop the control face off the stereo rendering it useless to thieves.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

girmann

Thanks Craig, I had no idea!

Quote from: Craig Illman on March 09, 2021, 05:32:38 AM
Often, vehicle stereos come with a pair of thin metal pieces about 1/4" W x 5" L that you slide in to release those tabs to remove the stereo. You might check with an aftermarket car audio store to get a pair if the previous owner didn't leave them in the Nav table.

Craig

KWKloeber

Search around the nav/other drawers. The release slides are usually buried somewhere by a PO, or put in the boat records/manuals.
You should see a spot between the radio face and metal retaining case where they slides in to release the catches. Right about mid-height on the face. You do both sides at the same time unless one slide is lost and then maybe you can release one and angle it enuf that it doesn't re-clasp.
The retainers are like the tabs that hold wire terminals inside a multi plug (keep them from pulling out the back when tugging on the wires.). The radio instructions will show how (maybe giggle search the radio manual.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Roc

Mark
Sounds like your stereo is mounted inside the Cubby storage on either side of the fixed window in the hull.  You can take the whole top of that cubby by unscrewing the screws around the perimeter.  Stick your hand inside and feel around the top perimeter.  You'll touch the screws every so often, countersunk.  I believe if you take off the vertical screws the top should come right off, exposing the whole top of the cubby, giving you access to the stereo. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

girmann

Whoa! It looks like our C34s are 11 hulls apart!

The only screws that I could find were the ones on the trim piece. I'm a bit ham-fisted, I was loath to try and get those trim piece plugs out to expose the screws.

It sounds like you're saying that there are more screws on the inside of the cubby along the perimeter of the top. I tried to get my hand up there, but couldn't. I didn't really try hard, tho. I'll poke around in there and see what I find.

Mark

C34 #1488

Quote from: Roc on March 10, 2021, 04:26:37 PM
Mark
Sounds like your stereo is mounted inside the Cubby storage on either side of the fixed window in the hull.  You can take the whole top of that cubby by unscrewing the screws around the perimeter.  Stick your hand inside and feel around the top perimeter.  You'll touch the screws every so often, countersunk.  I believe if you take off the vertical screws the top should come right off, exposing the whole top of the cubby, giving you access to the stereo.

Roc

Hi Mark
NO!!! don't take off the fiddles on TOP of the shelf by removing the bungs!  If you can look inside, or at least feel the perimeter of the top shelf, you will feel some molding that lets the top of the shelf attach to the sides.  Each screw is countersunk.  So you'll most likely feel what appears to be a hole.  But there are screws, phillips head in the holes.  If I remember correctly, they point straight up into the top shelf.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Mark : Do you have a C34 or C28?  Not too sure about the C28 interior?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

girmann

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 17, 2021, 02:51:27 PM
Mark : Do you have a C34 or C28?  Not too sure about the C28 interior?

A thought

Oops, forgot to change my signature!