Propane locker vent clogged.

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

Anyone have any intel on the propane locker vent?

I removed my tank for filling and found water up to vent.   Water stank so I washed it out then noticed it didn't drain.

Looked here and catalina direct to see if the vent was just a hole or was screened or filtered but my search was inconclusive.  I found a similar shaped vent on catalina direct that has a flame arrestor built in,  but it didn't mention propane locker as a use case.
Hose pressure from either side doesn't blow it out.  A long wire tie from tank to vent shows it clear to vent then hard stop.  Same tie from outside finds no opening.  Operator error?

Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Patches

Hi Mike:

I've got a 1990 Mark 1.25, and I suspect a different set-up for the propane locker. With a 1.5 you've got the walkthrough transom, and I can't remember if the propane locker is glassed in or "dropped in."   Mine was dropped in the aft cockpit lazarette, and mounted on a shelf.

For what it's worth, on my 1.25 there is a short length of hose from the bottom of the propane locker to the vent attached with hose clamps on both ends.  Mine was pretty accessible by removing the locker and the shelf, but it sounds like your's may involve some boat yoga through the aft cabin.

Lots of 1.5 owners on the forum, so hopefully you get a definitive answer.

Patches

rmbrown

Boat yoga indeed.   Sadly, 6 weeks ago, I had the water tank and rudder out and spent a week laying aft of the rudder post tube... but alas... I didn't know it was clogged!
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

mark_53

Why not just remove the hose and unclog or replace?  I have MK1 and the hose leads from the propane locker to thru hull secured with hose clamps.

rmbrown

Removal is clearly the answer, but no trivial task on my M1.5... bulkhead, water tank removal, then crawl in.   My propane locker isn't removable without major surgery so far as I can tell.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

For future readers... there's a screen on the outside of the vent.  It had maybe an inch of what looked like sand packed in behind it.   Flowing now.  I pulled the screen out with a bit of bent wire.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Mike : You just found the "Handy Work" of a mudd dobber!!

Those critters will get up in the mainsail and build a net - almost impossible to get that stain out of the sail!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788