Glow plug switch question

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

This is how I installed my glow plug solenoid.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah : Just make sure that you have a GOOD ground to the engine block!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Tallship2 on March 18, 2021, 11:22:04 AM

...CD offers only one switch and says it's for start or ignition.

how do I find out if I have a pre-heat solenoid, just in case it ever goes bad?

TooTall,

You're welcome for sure.   But non comprendo, senor -- unsure what you mean about CD's switch? 
CD has two, 3-position switches - the marketing (misleading, incorrect) says both are suitable for "Off-Run-Start or as Off-Run-Glow plug."

What brand and rating was the previous switch, and where is the rating for whichever CD switch you saw?

If there's a preheat it might be a "Ford-type starter solenoid" or a relay (like a 40-amp headlight relay, which is inexpensive, continuous-duty rated, and draws less current than a solenoid that is meant to carry a bazillion amp starter motor current.)  The relay is also plug-n-play, nary a tool needed to replace it.  Unplug it, plug in a replacement.

If you have one, when someone up top activates the preheat, you'll hear a click in the engine compartment below from the solenoid or relay.  And if you follow the wire back from glow plug #3 -- and it leads right into the engine harness (and to the cockpit panel) you don't have one installed.   On A and B series engines - they're already on the engine.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Tallship2

KWKloeber

Ok I'm sorry I think I confused myself.  I mean the ignition switch that you say was rated 20a, comparing it to the 10a glow plug switch.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Ron : That's what I said -"You can get a 3 way ignition switch and wire in the glow plugs in the third (spring loaded) position).  However, you'll have a hole in your panel.  Also look in Defender and they have the same push button swich for a lower price that CD!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 19, 2021, 02:39:31 PM
Ron : That's what I said -"You can get a 3 way ignition switch and wire in the glow plugs in the third (spring loaded) position).  However, you'll have a hole in your panel.  Also look in Defender and they have the same push button swich for a lower price that CD!!

A few thoughts

Ron
You may not have been following the complete thread.
Ignition switches almost universally are rated 5 amp on the Start position (I say "almost" because it's possible there is one higher but I've never seen one) and 10 or 20 amp on the Run and/or Acc positions (ratings vary by mfgr between those positions.)
So it's appropriate to use a key sw for preheat ONLY WHEN there's a preheat solenoid/relay installed.

Ron Hill

Ken : FYI, the C34 production 1988 thru 1993 (about 700 hulls) were all key switch glow plugs switches.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the C36 production during that period wasn't the same.  My 1988 did not have anything, but straight wiring from the key to the plugs!!

I installed the Ford truck soleniod mod. in 1996!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Ron

Some C30s were key preheat as well!!

I'm not sure what you're saying - that CTY screwed up or that it's ok to do that?

I'm not trying to second guess what Catalina knew or didn't know about ignition switch ratings or whether Seaward just didn't have the foresight to think through pushing 20+ amps thru a 5-amp switch.

I'm just saying (suggesting?) maybe "we" ought to be a bit cautious about recommending that owners do that. Overloading switch contacts by 400+ percent doesn't seem to me to be a good thing.  That's "just me". LOL. Their boat, their choice.

And it's not like the overload is on the continuous rated "Run" position where loads probably wouldn't be all On when the switch is made.  It's on the contacts where 20+ amps are very likely to burn the contacts because full amperage is there from "first make."  And more importantly is there at "break," which as you know is when contacts get burned by the jumping current.

The coil on a Cole Hersee solenoid pulls <1 amp :shock:

Ron Hill

Ken : Just passing on what has transpired!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788