Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glow plug switch question  (Read 471 times)

Noah

• Administrator
  • Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Glow plug switch question
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 11:48:01 AM »

This is how I installed my glow plug solenoid.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 02:41:53 PM »

Noah : Just make sure that you have a GOOD ground to the engine block!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

• "Positive Impact" 1984 C-30 mk-I #3573 trbsfk M-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 05:57:58 PM »

...CD offers only one switch and says it's for start or ignition.

how do I find out if I have a pre-heat solenoid, just in case it ever goes bad?

TooTall,

You're welcome for sure.   But non comprendo, senor -- unsure what you mean about CD's switch? 
CD has two, 3-position switches - the marketing (misleading, incorrect) says both are suitable for "Off-Run-Start or as Off-Run-Glow plug."

What brand and rating was the previous switch, and where is the rating for whichever CD switch you saw?

If there's a preheat it might be a "Ford-type starter solenoid" or a relay (like a 40-amp headlight relay, which is inexpensive, continuous-duty rated, and draws less current than a solenoid that is meant to carry a bazillion amp starter motor current.)  The relay is also plug-n-play, nary a tool needed to replace it.  Unplug it, plug in a replacement.

If you have one, when someone up top activates the preheat, you'll hear a click in the engine compartment below from the solenoid or relay.  And if you follow the wire back from glow plug #3 -- and it leads right into the engine harness (and to the cockpit panel) you don't have one installed.   On A and B series engines - they're already on the engine.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Tallship2

• Forum - Seaman Apprentice
  • Crusader Rabbit 1987 C-34 Hull #532
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:22:13 PM by Tallship2 »

KWKloeber

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 06:52:43 PM »

Ok Iím sorry I think I confused myself.  I mean the ignition switch that you say was rated 20a, comparing it to the 10a glow plug switch.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2021, 02:39:31 PM »

Ron : That's what I said -"You can get a 3 way ignition switch and wire in the glow plugs in the third (spring loaded) position).  However, you'll have a hole in your panel.  Also look in Defender and they have the same push button swich for a lower price that CD!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2021, 03:19:24 PM »

Ron : That's what I said -"You can get a 3 way ignition switch and wire in the glow plugs in the third (spring loaded) position).  However, you'll have a hole in your panel.  Also look in Defender and they have the same push button swich for a lower price that CD!!

A few thoughts

Ron
You may not have been following the complete thread.
Ignition switches almost universally are rated 5 amp on the Start position (I say ďalmostĒ because itís possible there is one higher but Iíve never seen one) and 10 or 20 amp on the Run and/or Acc positions (ratings vary by mfgr between those positions.)
So itís appropriate to use a key sw for preheat ONLY WHEN thereís a preheat solenoid/relay installed.

Ron Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2021, 01:28:47 PM »

Ken : FYI, the C34 production 1988 thru 1993 (about 700 hulls) were all key switch glow plugs switches.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the C36 production during that period wasn't the same.  My 1988 did not have anything, but straight wiring from the key to the plugs!!

I installed the Ford truck soleniod mod. in 1996!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2021, 08:42:04 PM »

Ron

Some C30s were key preheat as well!!

Iím not sure what youíre saying - that CTY screwed up or that itís ok to do that?

Iím not trying to second guess what Catalina knew or didnít know about ignition switch ratings or whether Seaward just didnít have the foresight to think through pushing 20+ amps thru a 5-amp switch.

Iím just saying (suggesting?) maybe ďweĒ ought to be a bit cautious about recommending that owners do that. Overloading switch contacts by 400+ percent doesnít seem to me to be a good thing.  Thatís ďjust meĒ. LOL. Their boat, their choice.

And itís not like the overload is on the continuous rated ďRunĒ position where loads probably wouldnít be all On when the switch is made.  Itís on the contacts where 20+ amps are very likely to burn the contacts because full amperage is there from ďfirst make.Ē  And more importantly is there at ďbreak,Ē which as you know is when contacts get burned by the jumping current.

The coil on a Cole Hersee solenoid pulls <1 amp :shock:

Ron Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2021, 02:48:17 PM »

Ken : Just passing on what has transpired!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up