Taco marine rub rail number

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

I have the grey rub rail in my 91 and would like to replace it.  I know that it can be had at C-Direct and possibly CYachts, but i was hoping someone had the Taco Marine product number so i could do some more cost comparison.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Bill Shreeves

waughoo - Did you find an alternative to what's available from CD?
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

waughoo

I didn't.  The project got shelved as they were more pressing things to take care of at the moment.  I did have really good luck cleaning it with Bar Keepers Friend and a green scrubby. That turned out to be a good interim solution till I can Circle back to that.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Bill Shreeves

Thanks for the reply.  The tan rubber in my rub rail is pretty beat on my '87 and I'm thinking about replacing it with gray.  i was looking @ the replacement on CD and was wondering if it might be available elsewhere.  CD is a great resource for the hard to find but, if someone else has what you need, elsewhere is usually less expensive.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Glenn- when you are done with yours, can you swing by and do mine too? :abd:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Alex,

I replaced a number of years ago. I went from tan to gray which looks much since my boat has gray and navy trim. I just drove to Woodland Hills and bought it from the parts department, so I guess that would be Catalina Direct. I don't remember it being particulally expensive so I didn't shop around.

Noah,

I can do yours, I'm not very good but I am really expensive.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Gunner- "Woodland Hills" is an office for Catalina Yachts not Catalina Direct. Catalina Direct is a separate, non-affiliated parts biz located in Northern CA.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Bill Shreeves

CD is charging $366 plus shipping.  I was going to do it a year or two ago and don't remember it being that $$$ when I looked before.  Seems pretty pricey for a 80' piece of vinyl and the reason I'm interested in shopping.  So, looking for alternatives if there are any.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

waughoo

Quote from: scgunner on February 28, 2022, 07:58:41 AM
I can do yours, I'm not very good but I am really expensive.

Kevin,

I feel like I went to a restaurant you must own.  The food was terrible but at least the portions were big.  :abd:
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

Noah,

I suppose I should have been a little more precise in my wording, while I didn't buy it from Catalina Direct I did buy it from the factory parts department in Woodland Hills so I guess I bought it direct from Catalina.

Bill,

When it comes to maintaining a 34' sailboat (cost of doing business) $366 is not very much money. I just replaced my covers for $4,000, a recent refer replacement cost over $1,500, the batteries are coming due for replacement at around $1,000, and last but certainly not least I'm soon to be hauling out for new bottom paint and a few other items like new cutlass bearing, I don't know what the final total will be yet but I know it will be several thousand dollars.

How's that $366 looking now?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

waughoo

Kevin,

Quote... cost of doing business...

Isn't that true.  I have become quite immune to prices anymore.  If you can't beat em', join em'.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

karista

I contacted Catalina Yachts at Largo as I also need to replace my gray rub rail. They have them in stock and their price is $3/FT. So this is where I will get mine.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Bill Shreeves

karista,
Thanks for the info!   That's much less expensive than the price listed on CD.  I'll be giving them a call...   

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Bill Shreeves

QuoteWhen it comes to maintaining a 34' sailboat (cost of doing business) $366 is not very much money. I just replaced my covers for $4,000, a recent refer replacement cost over $1,500, the batteries are coming due for replacement at around $1,000, and last but certainly not least I'm soon to be hauling out for new bottom paint and a few other items like new cutlass bearing, I don't know what the final total will be yet but I know it will be several thousand dollars.

How's that $366 looking now?

Kevin,
Your preaching to the choir my friend and yes $366 isn't much.  In the past 5 years I bought new transmission, damper plate, stuffing box, SS shaft, cutlass bearing, flexible coupling, prop, exhaust riser & muffler, fuel tank, Dodger & Bimini with frames, all new standing and running rigging, new life lines, new depth sounder, wind anemometer, auto-pilot with instruments, new alt with external regulator, all new battery cables & switches, house and aux batteries, battery monitor, new refrigeration and that's only the big stuff.  So, I save as much as I can where I can by shopping to have more for the next item.   Not complaining and I don't dare total it all up cause I love having the boat and I cant take it with me ;)

Lets go sailing y'all!

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD