attached cockpit seat cushions

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Lucas

Has anyone come up with a good way to secure the cockpit cushions so they don't slide about? Seems to be a bit of an annoyance for me and a safety issue when coming back to the cockpit from the foredeck as they can slip out especially if healing.
Ideally, we keep them stowed when sailing but with guests and family aboard.... and also, for me when cranking winches, they are great to kneel on but easily skid about.
I'm thinking of putting folding pad-eye's along the edge or????

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

Noah

Has been a PIA for me too. Was thinking about snaps but....?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHas been a PIA for me too. Was thinking about snaps but....?

Shamrock has snaps, they work.  Honestly I quit using the cockpit cushions a few seasons ago.  Use the folding seats, have 2 Sport-a-Seats when more than 2 are on board fold them flat and use as the cushions.  Much more comfortable, and store easier.  Between the folding cushions and a couple of floating throw cushions and of course the stern seat cushions that's all I use.  FWIW the west marine and other similar seats haven't held up for friends, the hinges don't last.  I bought mine at a boat show, remember them.

https://www.sportaseat.com/

I've had many a fine afternoon nap on them.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : Snaps work, but most of us have covered our factory OEM cushions with Terry Cloth.  Got tired of "sticking" to the cushions and it also makes the side cushions alot cooler.   

We seldom sail with the side cushions out.  Better to just use throwables to sit on or back rests when underway!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Not worried about sticking to cushions here in SoCal, but very worried about cushions sliding into engine key and breaking it off! Been there done that! I do have terry cloth covers for "sunbathing"  from PO, but I have never used them.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on March 04, 2021, 04:36:06 PM
...but very worried about cushions sliding into engine key and breaking it off! ...

From my 2017 tech note on replacing my ignition switch:

I went to the hardware store and got two additional replacement keys. Based on reports from other skippers and our own experiences, we've found the brass keys tend to get bent due to their location in the panel, so I got replacement keys made while the new ones were still straight. The replacement keys are silver, similar to our companionway and locker locks, so I painted them for identification.

I've found that the silver metal keys don't bend like the brass ones do.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

I use thin no skid rug mats, cut to the cockpit cushion dimension. The captain seat has snaps on a flap on the cushion that attach to a mated snap on the stern coaming.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

scgunner

Jim,

Are you using the original vinyl covered foam cushions? They can get a little slippery, but I've been using Bottom Siders solid foam cushions and they seem to grip quite well.

Stu,

You're right, while the brass keys do have a tendency to bend the silver keys just snap off. I took you're advice several years ago and had some extras made, also I added a pair of needle nose pliers to my tool box to extract the broken key.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on March 05, 2021, 07:11:41 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stu,

You're right, while the brass keys do have a tendency to bend the silver keys just snap off. I took you're advice several years ago and had some extras made, also I added a pair of needle nose pliers to my tool box to extract the broken key.

Thx, first time I've read about "breaking."

Re: slippery cushions.   In many discussions, here and other boating forums, some have suggested using battens at the edges.  Those are usually suggested along the long edges of the cockpit seats.  Of course, these get in the way of, uhm, your LEGS, if the cushions are down below.

It just occurred to (don't take me long, does it?!?):  Why not put a short batten on the end of the vertical cockpit fiberglass against the AFT END of the port cushion specifically to keep the cushion from moving back against the key?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."