Shaft & Stuffing box - how bad is this?

Previous topic - Next topic

JCHoctor

I am getting into the boat and trying to address some issues that I know I should have paid more attention to in the past couple of years but the simply I can not change what I should have done only accept responsibility for it and move forward - right? 

I am looking at the shaft and stuffing box (repacking the box was on my list) but as I see the shaft I am concerned about this white build-up on the shaft.  I have not had a chance to actually handle it but will be doing that this weekend.  My question to the community is how bad is do you think?  I am not experienced with the drive train and the boat is in the water so if I need to replace it I would need to pull her

I have read through some of the threads but do not see any that relate to what I am seeing (Sorry if I missed something) so I am hoping for a little support from the community and some honest thoughts about how bad this appears. 
Hull #738
1988 Mk1 Tall Mast Wing Keel, M25XP

Noah

It is probably just salt crystals from stuffing box self lubricating—assuming you have a saltwater boat. Clean it up with some CRL and a Scotchbrite pad and see how the shaft looks. There is a possibility that the shaft has been scored, but no way to tell until you clean it up.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Noah's right about the salt.  It would appear to me that any potential scoring for the shaft may not be where the salt crystals have formed, which is just the forward end of the box.  If you look at the cross section of the box in the manual, you'll see that where the shaft salt is is also where the shaft comes through the box, so there HAS to be clearance between the box & the shaft.  What keeps the water out is the packing against the forward end of the box, not the shat where it comes through the box.  So it's possible that the salt crystals alone themselves may not actually be rubbing too much on the shaft.  I hope that's clear.  Of course it's always good to check the shaft condition since you're repacking anyway.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jc : I would NOT use CRL because it is not recommended for copper or bronze (read the label)!!  I'd use Lime-A- Way to dissolve the salt crystals.  Then I'd get some 3/16" Gore packing and redo the packing gland - you can do it on the hard OR read my Mainsheet article on doing it in the water!!  Not that difficult!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ron- Good call on "don't use CLR on bronze". Lime-Away or vinegar are the way to go.
Standard Rig

JCHoctor

Thank you all, I will use Lime-away and look at the tech article on repacking. Thank you all!
Hull #738
1988 Mk1 Tall Mast Wing Keel, M25XP

Stu Jackson

Quote from: JCHoctor on March 24, 2022, 06:20:44 AM
Thank you all, I will use Lime-away and look at the tech article on repacking. Thank you all!

There is an entire section in the tech wiki for Stuffing Box.  Lots of material for you to read.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Not sure if this article is posted on our site but here it is again if it is. Good reference material.
https://marinehowto.com/re-packing-a-traditional-stuffing-box/
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

JC : Actually your stainless shaft my not have any wear, because the water has lubed that area!?!  I'd clean up the shaft and gland nut - then coat the outside of the nut with a light coat of grease so it doesn't turn "green" again. 

Then remember to tighten in small increments until you nearly stop the dripping.  I mean small - like maybe only 5 degrees at a time!!  Be sure to always put you hand on that gland nut to make sure it doesn't get HOT.  Warm is OK, but if you can't hold your hand on it - that's TOOO warm(HOT)!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

JC : Like with all plumbing (especially on the boat) - you do not want to backup!! Always end the task by tightening.    :thumb:

Another thought
Ron, Apache #788