Leak at companionway

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisW

I have a leak at my companionway.  When it rains, water pools at the base of where the two boards slide in.  The water finds its way somehow to the inside of the cabin and lands on the cover over the engine.  That cover is rotted on the two back corners.

Have any of you had this problem?  Any ideas how to fix it?

WTunnessen

I would suggest you get a sunbrella cover made for the companion way. I don't know your full set up but in my situation, I would sometimes get water through the small vent opening in the hatch boards if the wind blew the rain at certain direction. Sometimes it was a surprising amount, even with the dodger on.  But the real reason I got a cover made, was to keep the Mud Doppler wasps out!
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

waughoo

Quote from: WTunnessen on March 02, 2021, 05:49:31 PM
But the real reason I got a cover made, was to keep the Mud Doppler wasps out!

HA!!  My boat came from Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri.  I am STILL finding mud nests all over the boat.  I feel your pain!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

I see people who own Catalina's making those companionway covers and they do a nice job of protecting the whole area, but I don't feel it does anything to stop this leak.....and the problem can be fixed permanently.

The problem:
The teak threshold leading into the cabin is fastened with screws thru it's face and horizontal surface and those screws are then covered with teak bungs. It does have some sort of caulk under it but the way the threshold was cut underneath leaves a pretty big gap in the corners and over time that caulk breaks down and starts to leak. If you look closely there isn't much of a bevel on that threshold to shed water so it collects and finds its way in.

Remediation:
Pretty simple...but a bit involved. Drill out the teak bungs in the face and vertical surface of the threshold and remove the screws holding the wood on. I used a 3/8" forstner bit I bought at Harbor Freight for the bungs and it worked great. I also removed the vertical pieces on both sides of the companionway to reseal them as well. The caulk underneath should be holding the wood on...but it's so old by now it won't be holding anything. I cleaned up the old caulk/adhesive and 1/4" thick dirt that had worked its way into the gap at the ends and sanded the gelcoat where the caulk would be, then sanded the back side of the teak to clean it up and promote better sealant adhesion.
Tape off the area surrounding the threshold and apply caulk liberally, Honestly I cannot remember if I used black 4200 or 5200  but I never want this to come up again so 5200 would be fine by me. I put enough caulk down so that when I pressed the threshold back down it pushed out the sides and ends so I know it filled the gaps and gave me a good seal.
Pull up your tape after cleaning up the excess and walk away for a day or two to let the caulk dry. Insert new teak bungs and trim them flush after the adhesive dries. I've since refinished all the exterior teak on the boat and am happy to report that the leak from the threshold is gone, hopefully forever. Not a drop gets inside no matter how hard it rains.....We've even had snow and ice this past winter and that area is still quite dry just using the companionway boards.

I'll post a few shots of the work shortly, I just have to find them. I didn't get many of the work as it was underway..probably because I was wearing nitrile gloves covered in black caulk.... :shock:
Hope this helps!!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

ewengstrom

Sorry I didn't document this work any better than this.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

KWKloeber

We have the same water intrusion issue on the C30 mkI.  It ruined the teak panel below the companionway on the bulkhead. 

I haven't seen a closeup of the threshold installed so this may not apply, but....
I saw two issues causing it: (1) no shoulder behind the bottom board (and the threshold angle is essentially flat) so it was easy for water to get in and (2) water getting behind the side rails which added to the water source.   

I screwed down a low teak strip (some have used an aluminum box channel) tight to the back of the bottom board -- it's about 1" x 1" tall and well-bedded to the threshold.  Second I fixed the side rails so that any water that makes its way between a board and rail can easily drain out under the bottom of the rails onto the threshold/cockpit.

Again, this may not apply to your configuration but I just throw it out for something to chew on.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 03, 2021, 12:49:43 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
(1) no shoulder behind the bottom board (and the threshold angle is essentially flat) so it was easy for water to get in
>>>>>>>>>>

My boat has a small half round piece of wood in that location for that very purpose.  I don't know if it was OEM or the PO installed it.  It works.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Never had any leaks there either, but mine has the half round trim as well. Also everything is "bedded" with lots of sloppy varnish.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ekutney

I've got the same half round piece located at the bottom of the companionway entrance.  Works well, I get no water intrusion.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

mark_53

Quote from: ChrisW on March 02, 2021, 03:01:25 PM
I have a leak at my companionway.  When it rains, water pools at the base of where the two boards slide in.  The water finds its way somehow to the inside of the cabin and lands on the cover over the engine.  That cover is rotted on the two back corners.

Have any of you had this problem?  Any ideas how to fix it?

Do you have a dodger?  That would prevent also.  I also have a sunbrella flap that covers the companionway doors.  Works well .

Ron Hill

Chris : When you ask a question, best let us know if you have a MK I or II C34!???  You've gotten a bunch of MK I answers!!    :?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ewengstrom

Our MK1 has the half round teak strip as well. It still leaked like a sieve at the ends where the sealant had failed.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

ChrisW

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 04, 2021, 02:13:24 PM
Chris : When you ask a question, best let us know if you have a MK I or II C34!???  You've gotten a bunch of MK I answers!!    :?

A thought

Thanks.  I am not sure if I have an MK I or II.  My boat was advertised as a 1993 C34.  I had always thought (since I started reading this site) it was a 2, but I am not so sure now.  How do I know for certain?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: ChrisW on March 06, 2021, 04:59:32 PM
Quote from: Ron Hill on March 04, 2021, 02:13:24 PM

A thought

Thanks.  I am not sure if I have an MK I or II.  My boat was advertised as a 1993 C34.  I had always thought (since I started reading this site) it was a 2, but I am not so sure now.  How do I know for certain?

Chris, you use the tech wiki, which has as its first page the Evoluation of the C34, with pictures.  Including your hull number also helps, too.  1993 & 94 were transition years between the different boats.

https://c34.org/wikiwp/
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ChrisW

It looks like I have one of the last of the MK 1 models, the one with the walk-through transom.  I also have that half round wood at the threshold, but it's not varnished.  Just the boards that fit in the slots are.  I think I am going to go with ewengstrom's advice and rebed all the wood.  Then I'll varnish the threshold really well.

Thanks for all the help!