on-the-hard to do list

Previous topic - Next topic

wingman

The recent post about checking the torque on the keel bolts made me wonder what else I should be thinking about with the boat on the hard until this spring. Once splashed, except for short hauls, she'll probably be in the water for two years. A search didn't really come up with any check lists.

I'm checking items off the typical out-of-the-water winter work list: minor hull repair/painting, cleaning topsides, replacing zincs, lubing sea cocks, servicing knot meter, etc., and a couple non-standard items: inspected steering, serviced the dripless and replaced a noisy damper plate at the same time. (I'm also doing a bunch of things, replacing running rigging, etc, that can be done anytime.)

What else should I be thinking about that can only be done while the boat is out of the water?
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

waughoo

Your list looks good so far to me.  It matches up with mine.  Might also want to check your anchor drain through hull and the cockpit drain through hulls.  Though above water, they are much more manageable from land.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Patches

Good time to check your cutless bearing, and maybe remove your prop for cleaning.  Otherwise, looks like a good list.

Patches

Ron Hill

Wing : Clean out the anchor well.  Don't know the condition of your anchor chain and rode.  Re-galvanize the chain?  Put the nylon rode in the washing machine?  redo the length markers on the rode & chain? 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

wingman

thanks guys, all good suggestions, keep em coming, she's splashing in 6 weeks, so still plenty of time to add to the list.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteClean out the anchor well.  Don't know the condition of your anchor chain and rode.

In the fall I drop the anchor and rode and flake/ballentine coil it under the boat on a skid.  This allows me to check and remark.  Also with my winter cover always get water down the forestay and around the anchor roller, taking the rode out of the anchor well allows that water to drain at the bow.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

It's amazing the difference between east coast and west coast boaters. When my boat comes out of the water it's usually once every four years for 3 or 4 days. I have two to do lists when this happens, the first is stuff I absolutely can't do in the water, the second is stuff that can be done in the water but would be really nice to be able to do out of the water, I usually don't have time to get to many items on the second.

Having your boat on the hard for months and being able to work on a project for weeks if desired is something I'm envious of. As soon as my boat comes out of the water the money clock starts running, and that sucker runs fast. My haul out involves a precise game plan, gathering equipment and materials, loading everything on the boat or car so no time is wasted. Those days start at dawn and usually finish after dark. The faster I can get the boat back in the water the cheaper the whole operation is going to be.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

wingman

Quote from: scgunner on February 25, 2021, 07:26:08 AM
It's amazing the difference between east coast and west coast boaters. When my boat comes out of the water it's usually once every four years for 3 or 4 days.

Yeah, but you've got year-round sailing, we have to hole up for 4-5 months just thinking about sailing while we're shoveling the snow off our driveways!

If it makes you feel any better, my club is paying something like $250 a month for our square footage of land storage, on top of the annual slip fee at the same time. :cry4`

I know running a marina is a low-profit-margin enterprise, but ours has 1100 boats on the hard over the winter and I've decided that's where the money is...

waughoo

I am currently in a stoarge yard in the PNW.  Technically one is not to be doing boat work, but Ive been sneaking in some of this and that.  Just parked on the hard here, the cost is $350/mo.  Considering my in water costs, this is a bargain at almost half.  Since the boat needed to be recomissioned post shipping, and I didn't have a permanent slip yet, this option made the most sence.  However, I'll never have such a relaxed yard schedule again.  The one place I looked into was $50/ day for being in a work yard!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Bill Shreeves

Just a passing thought.  If looking for maintenance that's much easier while on the hard...   If your prop's age is in question and/or uncertain what its condition is, you could have it evaluated and computer balanced by a reputable prop shop.  Many prop shops loan prop pullers to their customers.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Ron Hill

Guys : As Bill mentioned if you take your prop off to be calibrated make sure that shop uses "Prop Scan" method.  Look in the Mainsheet tech note for my article on "Prop Scan"!! 

Also you can go to Harbor Freight (like I did) and buy a 6" 3 prong gear puller for $6.95 ??

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788