waughoo

Love that video... such a pretty sail.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : I did the same thing that Antoni did, but used a ST Lewmar 16 winch.  I put the 150 genoa furling line in it or the tack control line when the cruising spinnaker is up!  You don't need a larger winch as the #16 will do the job!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

Ron, One thought.

The 16 is too small to be used for sheets on a gennaker.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Antoni : I put the gennaker (cruising spinnaker) sheet lines (port and starboard) in the Primary #46 Lewmar winchs!! 

I only have one #16 Lewmar ST winch which is on the port side. I use that smaller winch for the cruising spinnaker's tack control (height of the tack) 5/16" line and the roller furling 3/8" line for the 150% roller furling genoa.  However, I believe that the #16 will handle up to 1/2" line.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

What size sheets do you have for your gennaker? The 46st won't sail tail my 5/16in sheets. Adding the two 30st gives me a lot of options. I can use them for sheeting Genoa when I have guests and don't want them to have to move when tacking, they're closer to the helm so I can do it all myself from the helm station.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Antoni : My Cruising spinnaker sheets are 5/16" fuzzy braid on braid.  All I do is wrap these sheet lines around the 46s drum about 4 or 5 times then into the self tailor and they stay in place!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

Received my new bilge pump today, is there any issue with having bilge pump discharge from the side of the hull? Currently it's discharging from the stern. Would rather have a much shorter run of hose, would add a vented loop.

Thoughts?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Stu Jackson

Antoni,

Only concerns would be marks on the side of the hull or backfeed when heeled.  Vented loop would work as long as the height required doesn't exceed the pressure drop through the old longer hose to the transom (engineering-speak).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

I would consider a hull side bilge exit for an emergency high volume bilge pump, but I cant say I would do it for my regular pump.  The outlet on the hull side and the potential for stains is a hard pill for me to swallow.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

(engineering-speak).

Don't know your specifics, but pumping 1000 GPH thru 15 feet of 1-1/4" smooth bore hose, creates 1 foot of head loss, but that's not the major head loss.

Pumping up over your high spot in the hose will be the major head loss, not the fiction loss of the hose.  In other words, 1000 GPH water pumped up, say 3 feet, is like pumping thru 45' of hose.

I don't see where a vent on a high loop helps.  I'd **think** all you need is a hump as high as you can get (compared to the heeled waterline.)  I could be convinced otherwise.  Now if you were discharging below the waterline, then yes, a vented loop.  If the discharge is under the rail and buried on a heel, a vented loop wouldn't necessarily prevent water from flowing back.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Quoteis there any issue with having bilge pump discharge from the side of the hull?

The MKll bilge pump discharges from the side, high, aft, port.  Only issue is the water that back flows back to the bilge from the long hose run.  Works just fine.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : You are best to just live with the back flow when the pump shuts off.  I believe that you just create more problems trying to eliminate that backflow!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

Not necessarily trying to eliminate back flow, I bought a new whale IC bilge pump that has an integrated strained/check valve. I wanted to eliminate all that long length of hose. The vented loop was to prevent water flowing back when on a heel but I realized after as some have pointed out a hump as high as possible is all I'd need, besides when heeling that much there's no water in our bilges as they are so shallow... I suppose I could do a test of how much volume pump is able to pump out with the two different setups. Will report back...
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

KWKloeber

Where does the hose run now?  Is there a high spot, and where is that?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

LogoFreak

Test fitting my new custom boom last Friday, perfect fit. All there's left to do is attach the track and drill the holes for the main sheet blocks.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179