Refitting Polonaise

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Jon—where is this in relation to your starboard water tank?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

The "breadboard" is outboard of the aft end of the tank. First photo is during construction.

Second photo is current. The storage on top of the tank is for stuff I rarely need, but want on the boat. It's easily/quickly removable if needed. There's a foam pad in between the wood and plastic tank to avoid any chafing. FYI - I haven't needed to access the Echo Charger since installation. Same with the MPPT charge controllers so decided to better utilize the space. If I want to see the LED's, I lift the lid and look in the gap between the storage bin and lip of the sette.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

Thanks Jon.  Ive seen your breadboard before but never knew how you set it up.  Thanks for the clarification.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Been working on a pedestal mount for my radar, it also has a place to mount the CAM210
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

KeelsonGraham

Why use a pedestal when you have a mast? You'll lose range and put the expensive kit down amongst spray and gear. Just askin.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

LogoFreak

Cause it's a PITA to install it on the mast? And I already have a radar mast mounted on the stern. I'm only elevating it as well as I needed to change the bolt pattern for the new radar.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Considering to change my prop to a feathering max-prop, any updated reviews from those who have one?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Jim Hardesty

QuoteConsidering to change my prop to a feathering max-prop, any updated reviews from those who have one?

I say it's the best sail change I've done.  Bought my max-prop 20 years ago for a previous boat and moved it to Shamrock.  Max-prop has been trouble free all that time with a seasonal lube.  If I had to come up with a negative, except for the cost, believe it does have more prop walk due to the wide blades, but the wide blades do give a strong reverse.  I have no problem maneuvering, just need to anticipate the prop walk.
I'd buy again,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

LogoFreak

Thanks Jim! I'm surprised though about the prop walk, I would have thought that with all that extra thrust in reverse you'd get more rudder authority a lot quicker cancelling out the prop walk? I got a quote from PYI for just over $3k.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Gregory M

Anthony
Have you heard of "EWOL" props? here is a link https://ewol-propellers.com/e3-orion/
Year ago I got quote for it:
{it is a copy from my email}

"We have planned for an Andromeda version because the engine power allows to apply that model which is slightly cheaper than the Orion.
The Andromeda is a smaller version of the Orion propeller with exactly the same features, should you prefer the Orion version because even more robust, we have no problems.
The weight of the Andromeda is about 6.9 kgs, while the weight of the Orion is about 8.3 kgs
The price of the Andromeda is 2250 € discount 10% valid till Feb 5th
The price of the Orion is 2450 € discount 10% valid till Feb 5th
Shipment to Canada 130 € (any of the 2 models)"

I almost bought it, unfortunately could not proceed with order :cry4`( still want to).
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

waughoo

Gregory,

Never heard of an Ewol before!!  Looks very similar in theory to the max prop.  What drew you to that over the max prop?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

I am still a fan of my 3-blade Flexofold. However, I have not tried anything other than this and a fixed OEM three-bladed on my C34.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

Quote from: Gregory M on February 16, 2022, 04:56:39 PM
Anthony
Have you heard of "EWOL" props? here is a link https://ewol-propellers.com/e3-orion/
Year ago I got quote for it:
{it is a copy from my email}

"We have planned for an Andromeda version because the engine power allows to apply that model which is slightly cheaper than the Orion.
The Andromeda is a smaller version of the Orion propeller with exactly the same features, should you prefer the Orion version because even more robust, we have no problems.
The weight of the Andromeda is about 6.9 kgs, while the weight of the Orion is about 8.3 kgs
The price of the Andromeda is 2250 € discount 10% valid till Feb 5th
The price of the Orion is 2450 € discount 10% valid till Feb 5th
Shipment to Canada 130 € (any of the 2 models)"

I almost bought it, unfortunately could not proceed with order :cry4`( still want to).

Very cool, but I'd like to find some reviews and see their long term longevity.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Gregory M

Quote from: waughoo on February 16, 2022, 05:06:13 PM
Gregory,

Never heard of an Ewol before!!  Looks very similar in theory to the max prop.  What drew you to that over the max prop?

Research. in one word. Basically it is same prop as max prop, but way improved!
First: one screw to adjust pitch, can be done in water! with alen key
Second: for rebuild, you get kit and do it your self.
Big two pluses IMHO.
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI would have thought that with all that extra thrust in reverse you'd get more rudder authority a lot quicker cancelling out the prop walk?

I've found that giving a burst of power in reverse then shifting to neutral is the way to go.   Give it enough reverse power to get steerage (will get prop walk) then shift to neutral (no more prop walk).  Only have prop walk while in gear even at idle get some. 
It's a testament to the max-prop that I forward/reverse a lot to maneuver and never have had a problem with the prop.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA