Refitting Polonaise

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

Very cool spot!!  Do you have in mast furling?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

Is there an eye strap or pad eye bolted to your bow at the boot stripe?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

LogoFreak

Quote from: waughoo on March 06, 2021, 08:29:57 PM
Very cool spot!!  Do you have in mast furling?

Yes I do, it was a retrofit, technically it's a behind the mast furling. Works quite well but I haven't really had the chance to sail with it much yet.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Quote from: Jon W on March 06, 2021, 08:48:00 PM
Is there an eye strap or pad eye bolted to your bow at the boot stripe?

Yes, I installed a U-bolt when I was at the boat yard. I'm going to be building a bowsprit for a gennaker and code 0 and wanted an attachment point for a bob stay.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Logo!!!

Where have you been?  I want to hear about your refit post launch and as well the below deck auto pilot.  Hope you've been busy sailing and thats why we havent seen updates.  Hope all is well.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Indeed! Busy AF LOL.

Been working on a bunch of things all at the same time so not many things to show, but yesterday I was able to bring my proof of concept to the boat and install it. Check it out!
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Two more i70s displays are coming to fill those holes. On either side there's USB-C/USB-A charging ports as well. I temporarily installed the chart plotter on the cabin top. I sail a lot with autopilot on and am almost never behind the wheel so moving it from the pedestal made sense to me.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Next step in going to be to make that into the bottom of the dodger, eventually I want to build a hard dodger so this is a good start.

I'm working on the autopilot as well, I'll take some pics when I'm on the boat this weekend, show you what I've settled on.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Very cool on the gauges.  I have wanted to do something like that.  Where/how do you plan to route the wiring?  That is the part I struggle with, as there does not seem to be a clean way to get it from there to a wire chase.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

Have you considered mounting the chart plotter at the navigation station and using a tablet as a repeater in the cockpit?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

LogoFreak

Yes I've considered it, haven't ruled it out completely yet, however I'm never at the chart table and I already have a 32" screen down below as a chart plotter.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

It is like the inflight map for anyone interested down below!!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

Me either. Two of the questions I asked myself when I added Raymarine electronics were even with a bimini, dodger, and connector do I want to plot a course in the weather, and do I want to run more or less wire? I decided out of the weather and less wire. From the chart plotter at the navigation station I ran one seaTalkng cable to the helm instrument pod for the i70, and a spur cable inside the pod to the i60. I use a 10" tablet as a repeater attached to a Ram Mount under the dodger or a second one near the helm. YBYC as they say.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

LogoFreak

Quote from: waughoo on April 16, 2021, 08:22:46 AM
It is like the inflight map for anyone interested down below!!

LOL! In the near future there's an AR kit coming, so I will also have a video feed ponying forward. I can run down to make myself a sandwich and still see what's happening outside :-)
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Quote from: Jon W on April 16, 2021, 09:06:39 AM
Me either. Two of the questions I asked myself when I added Raymarine electronics were even with a bimini, dodger, and connector do I want to plot a course in the weather, and do I want to run more or less wire? I decided out of the weather and less wire. From the chart plotter at the navigation station I ran one seaTalkng cable to the helm instrument pod for the i70, and a spur cable inside the pod to the i60. I use a 10" tablet as a repeater attached to a Ram Mount under the dodger or a second one near the helm. YBYC as they say.

I was already going to try and use an iPad at the helm for that purpose, I will try using the boat with the chart plotter down below, I can temporarily mount it whiteout destroying anything, see how I like it and if I miss having it up to.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179