Refitting Polonaise

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

Fair point! I'll move them tomorrow. I looked it up and it's suggested to place them forward of the strut with enough room for water flow to the cutlass bearing.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Curiousity struck me so i went looking for an answer as tk why they should be close to the strut and found this.  Seems pretty logical to me.

From a post on Cruiser's Forum (see link to full topic below):
---------
The zinc should be placed just a few inches forward of the strut, leaving only enough room between the strut and the zinc to allow water flow through your cutlass bearing. The density of zinc's is not uniform and if mounted midway between the strut and shaft log (where the shaft penetrates the hull) may have a tendancy to cause the shaft to vibrate in the manner of an unbalanced tire, particularly if there is a fairly long run between hull and strut.
---------------

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f114/where-to-put-zinc-on-prop-shaft-32475.html#:~:text=The%20zinc%20should%20be%20placed,flow%20through%20your%20cutlass%20bearing.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

wingman

Here's a pic of my zinc after two years. I'm thinking another one would be cheap insurance.

I'm also wondering if I should install one on the skeg while on the hard this spring. PO didn't have one on the skeg.

Does it specifically protect the skeg or is is just additional protection? (I probably just answered my own question)

2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThe zinc should be placed just a few inches forward of the strut

Someplace I've read that it's recommended to put a zinc so that it will act as a stop in case of a coupling failure to prevent the prop from fouling/jamming the rudder.  If there's enough room can add one before the shaft log.  Years ago a dockmate had his shaft slide from the coupling and jam his rudder hard over.  A lot of damage as I remember.  My thinking is why not add that little bit of belt and suspender.  Still check coupling at least once a season.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

LogoFreak

Ready to hit the water!!! Splashing tomorrow at 8am.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Dig the keel "pound sign".  Im getting close to my launch date as well.  Cant wait!!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

We are floating!!!
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

ewengstrom

I cannot lie.......I'm a bit jelly.  :thumb:
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

waughoo

How exciting. I just scheduled my launch for April 1st.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

I only forgot to put a set screw for the cutlass bearing and move the zincs closer to the prop strut. I'll have to dive under and take care of it at the marina. Other than that we got the mast stays evenly adjusted and got the engine running (bled the cooling system after reinstalling the heat exchanger).
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

wingman

Quote from: LogoFreak on February 26, 2021, 08:43:16 AM
We are floating!!!
looks good and definitely a bit jealous! I'm shooting for an April 5 launch.
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

LogoFreak

Out on the water, 35nm journey back to our marina.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Antoni : If that is a "Rubber Ducky" transmission shifter in your last picture - there are numerous articles on why you need to change it ASAP!!  :shock:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

Already on order! The throttle is actually already broken.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179