Refitting Polonaise

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Antoni : Suggest that you setup a schedule to check that pump strainer.  I say that because it will never be obvious that the strainer is clogged!!

Hard to believe that someone mounted a bilge pump exit so low that you get back flow when healing!?  I've NEVER been able to put the gunnel in the water with my 34 and a 150% genoa - maybe your fin keel rudder can do that!?!
Think that I would have remounted a new higher exit rather than your vented loop - but it's your boat!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Antoni,

Tell us more about the boom.  Is it optomized for your roller reefed main?  It looks significantly lighter and has some really slick integrated pulleys at the end.  Please tell the story.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 12, 2022, 06:49:31 PM
Antoni : Suggest that you setup a schedule to check that pump strainer.  I say that because it will never be obvious that the strainer is clogged!!

Hard to believe that someone mounted a bilge pump exit so low that you get back flow when healing!?  I've NEVER been able to put the gunnel in the water with my 34 and a 150% genoa - maybe your fin keel rudder can do that!?!
Think that I would have remounted a new higher exit rather than your vented loop - but it's your boat!

A few thoughts

You misunderstood, current bilge thru hull is all the way aft at the transom. I want to shorten the run and place it closer to center line of the boat. Alternate place would be next to exhaust thru hull, that way I don't have to look at it. Lol.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Quote from: waughoo on September 12, 2022, 08:33:50 PM
Antoni,

Tell us more about the boom.  Is it optomized for your roller reefed main?  It looks significantly lighter and has some really slick integrated pulleys at the end.  Please tell the story.

The boom that was on the boat as I bought it was crudely modified by someone to work with an in-mast furler, they did it with cheap blocks and very bad geometry in terms of lead angles for the outhall. The result was an outhall that barely is able to pull the sail out while the sail itself is very easy to pull out by hand.

So I had a spare boom from my previous Catalina 30 (same boom as 34/36) and set out to improve on the system. Bought a new harken track, harken outhall car and harken esp sheaves. Then to the drawing board with the wizard (fabricator). We came up with a system that will have very little friction, nothing fancy or new, mostly recycled designs from many newer boats. I will show it off in more detail once it's on the boat and have had a chance to use it.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Antoni : You are correct - that I have NO idea of ???what you are trying to do by having a side discharge for a bilge pump??? 

If you want an emergency bilge pump you can do what I did -- I ran a 5/8" hose from the bilge under the flooring to the door under the head SINK.  That hose has a fitting to go into the Raw water hose that feeds the engine.  In an emergency I can close the engine RW thru hull and attach the bilge hose to the Engine hose and the engine becomes a bilge pump!! 

Alot simpler than a side discharge and an anti-syphon valve!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

Yeah Ron, definitely not trying to do what you did...
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Antoni : Why Not!!  The engine is there and all you have to do for an emergency bilge pump is to add a chunk of hose and an adapter!!  Your boat your choice!!  It was a usable idea!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

Great idea Ron, it's just not what I'm trying to do. Currently replacing my main bilge pump that's all.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Installed the new boom last night  :clap
It was late so pictures aren't the best but it's all I could do. Likely go for a test sail on Sunday. I can finally pull the sail out without the need for the winch and a lot of back muscle, furls in super easy as well.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Looks super tidy as usual.  That welder of yours is indeed a wizzard!!  I look forward to when we cross paths one day so I can see that roller main setup in person.  I am so curious about how it was adapted to the mast.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Action shots  :clap
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Nice!! :clap

The wind a bit south was pretty darn nice today.  I wanted to go out but not alone.  Unfortunately all my usual suspects were not available.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte