Rigid vang help

Previous topic - Next topic

ewengstrom

Thanks to those that posted in the other topic replying to my request for help with my rigid vang. Originally I thought this one is a Garhauer model....but now I'm not so sure.
Obviously it appears to be mounted incorrectly based on what I'v observed in other photos (the mount on the mast is upside down!!!!) But I'm beginner to wonder if this was originally designed for this boat. If I flip the lower mount it will reduce the length and I'm not sure there is enough travel left to do that.
Just seeking advice from others who have mounted one before and can help me sort this out.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

ewengstrom

A different angle.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

waughoo

I have this same model on my 91 and it is indeed a Garhauer.  The mount at the bottom just indicates the vang needs to be unmounted and rotated 180 degrees.  Im curious what you mean by not enough room/travel.  Can you elaborate?  The vang doesnt need much downward travel.  It is there just to pull the leech tight when the main sheet is too far beyond the boat to pull down.  Thus, there wont be much piston travel left when it is activated.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

In this shot the boom is horizontal to the water, the vang is mostly compressed with very little "travel" left in it. I'm picturing the bottom mount mounted correctly which will further compress the vang when the boom is horizontal to the horizon. I haven't tried it yet and I may be all wet with regards to this worry. I was just seeing if anybody else had this model and could weigh in.
Since this shot I've pulled the boom, vang and mainsheet off the boat and it's all in my basement for service. I'll flip the bottom mount when I reinstall the whole thing and see how it goes.
By some chance do you have any shots of your vang all set up? When we bought the boat it wasn't set up at all and I had to guess as to where the blocks were mounted and how the control line(s) are run. Any way I set it up it ends up binding up and rather than being easy to operate, I need a winch to move the thing....it just seems wrong.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Diversion

1989 #943 TRWK

waughoo

I suspect that the geometry will be quite similar once you flip the vang.  I dont think it will be a problem.  I dont have any photos of the line routing but can get some.  I suspect it should be pretty simple to sort out once you have it all mounted.  It is pretty much a simple block and tackle set up.  I will say that the tang on the side of the boom end where the line terminates requires some adjustment to allow for proper travel.  Youll have to fuss with it a bit to get it where it needs to be.  When I'm at the boat next I will try and get some routing instruction pictures.  It is going to be about a week though before Im back there.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

Hey Diversion, thanks for the link. I'd posed this same question on that thread and those shots, while pretty similar, aren't the same setup I have....so that's why I created the new thread specifically for this model vang.

Alex, I do hope rotating that lower mount won't cause any issues. The way it's mounted now also interferes with the hatch in the main salon, it only opens until it hits the vang...and that's really not much.
We've owned this poor boat for 1-1/2 years and it just amazes me the stuff I run across...if you look closely at the photo's I posted you'll also note that the bolt that holds the lower pivot on the vang is inserted upside down (nut at the top) which is absolutely incorrect.....maybe it was mounted this way when it was originally installed, I'm sure I'll never know.
I'd REALLY appreciate it if you think to snap a few photos of your setup and share. I lurk here often and will spot them quickly. Thanks so much for the help!!!! Hope I can reciprocate one day.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

waughoo

Quote from: ewengstrom on February 19, 2021, 04:20:51 AM
I'd REALLY appreciate it if you think to snap a few photos of your setup and share. I lurk here often and will spot them quickly. Thanks so much for the help!!!! Hope I can reciprocate one day.

Will do.  I'll be up there next week sometime and will do some investigating on line routing as well as photos.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

karista

Here is a picture of my Garhauer Rigid Vang installation, hope it helps!
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

ewengstrom

Karista, quite a bit actually. I'd be most interested to see where that upper block on the vang attaches, maybe there is just slack in the line but it almost looks like it attaches somewhere other than the upper part of the vang itself???
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

karista

Here is the boom connection of the rigid Vang, hope it helps!
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

waughoo

I took a video of mine while i was at the boat that traces the routing.  I will upload to Youtube and then post the link.  Prob have that up here by tomorrow AM.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Okay... video is uploaded.  Hopefully this helps sort out how to rig yours.  Please note that this boat is still being sorted.  Not everything is yacht finish!

https://youtu.be/RLPfhwwsN9Y
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

Alex,
Thanks a TON sir.....I do have those separate blocks but they weren't mounted when we got the boat and my brain was just overloaded sorting out all the new systems and I never got around to sorting thru the setup..... I do see where our vang was mounted basically upside down at the base and fixing it is pretty straight forward at this point.
Oh, and your boat looks pretty good to me!!!!!  :clap
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

waughoo

Eric,

Glad to hear it was helpful.  Once you get it rigged there will just be a bit of time spent adjuating the bitter end of the line that makes up the end to end purchase of the vang.  That sets the location of the smaller purchase blocks.  If it gets set too long the purchas block wont have enough travel.  All that said, if yours was rigged at some point before, the length might be just fine. 

Post us up a photo when you get it all rigged up!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte