Strut bearing puller...

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

So there was some discussion about the shaft in place strut bearing puller recently.  Does anyone know who has it now?  I think Patches had it up until recently, but it got sent on to someone else.  I need to replace my PYI PSS bellows and will likely need to have a new flange fit and faced post getting the existing one off (thus shaft out).
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Hey Alex, if you're pulling the shaft out anyway you really don't need a tool, use a hacksaw blade to cut the cutlass bearing length wise in two different spots maybe 1/2 apart. Then just use a chisel to hammer the strip out. Bearing will just come out after you do that.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

waughoo

I thought the strut bearing had to be removed to get the deflection needed to pass the rudder.  Thats the reason i was considering it.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Hmmm, haven't thought about that. I kinda doubt it will be enough to get passed the rudder though. I could be wrong. Curious to know.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

Once cutlass bearing is removed the shaft will slide past the rudder. Been there done that. I have the original rudder not a "new" elliptical.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Patches

I don't recommend cutting it with a hacksaw, collapsing it, and pounding it out.  I could tell where a prior owner (or his hire) had done that, and left a score on the inside of the strut.  The bearing is a press fit, which is another reason why you should use the tool.

Assuming you bang it out, you still need to reinstall the new one, and you shouldn't whack that one in with a mallet and a piece of wood blocking.  I'm sure it's done, but the press tool helps assure proper alignment and preservation of the "press fit" while inserting the new one.  Plus the tool--thanks to Dan ("Indian Falls")-- is free to use for the cost of shipping.

As Noah says, to remove the prop shaft, just press out the cutless bearing and move the prop shaft aft past the rudder.  And as I found out in December when I did this job, there was a preferred side of the rudder (i.e. more room) to slide the prop shaft past.  On my boat, it was the port side of the rudder.

Patches

LogoFreak

Makes sense, Catalina has no clue how to put a rudder on straight 🤣
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179