Replacing Chart plotter - Simard CP33

Previous topic - Next topic

hopkinslaw

My chart plotter is acting up. It is an old unit, a Simard CP33. Trouble starts as soon as I power up (the PWR key works to start it). The splash screen comes up but a message should come up (hot ENT to accept conditions) but the unit just hangs. The unit is unresponsive to all inputs. Even the PWR button does not turn it off.

First, any suggestions on fixing the problem? I can't think of anything I've done to cause a problem. I have checked with a multimeter and it is getting plenty of power. The manual offers no advice, nor does simrad online customer service.

I may need to consider replacement options. I went to my local (awful) marine store. They seemed pretty clueless. They said there is no no way for the old transducers to talk to new equipment.  Is the store correct? Do I need to put another hole in my boat and buy a new transducer? The CP33 takes a round 7 pin connector to which I think I send depth info. Do modern chart plotters accept that connection? If not is there some sort of a bridge to connect a legacy transducer?

Any suggestions on what to get? I don't use my chart plotter for much. I much prefer to use my iPad. In fact, I think it would be a better system if I just had a headless transducer sending out depth information so my iPad could read it. I suppose there could be some value in a modest chart plotter or a small unit showing speed course and depth. Any suggestions on what to look for? I'm hesitant to put down big money because I just don't think I need all that much.

One other thing, some of the chart plotters came as a package with a transducer but the store said they won't work on a sailboat. Does that make sense? Do I need a special transducer to work with a sailboat? What do I look for in a transducer?

Thank you.

David Hopkins
1990 C30
Vancouver BC

Admiral_Swellson

No personal experience with this unit but found this online:

"Disconnect the powercable on the back. Wait for 10 sec. Then press and hold PWR and CLR at the same time and while holding the buttons, connect the powercable. The unit performs a master reset. This will fix the problem. -Simrad CP33. Display freeze problem-"

In case it helps you!

"Old transducers" are likely NMEA0183 and there are many ways to convert the signal to the newer NMEA2000 standard.  I do it on my Raymarine system with this unit:  https://www.raymarine.com/view/index-id=3338.html ITC-5 Transducer Converter.

hopkinslaw

Wow. Thank you.

That worked. I'm so embarrassed I was unable to find that fixya page.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

You saved a great deal of money and bother. I was hours away from breaking down and upgrading. I will work hard this weekend to pay your good deed forward.

Admiral_Swellson