Adler Barbor problems

Previous topic - Next topic

TortolaTim

I've real through all the fridge follies and 101 topics, and printed out the long troubleshooting checklist here on the forum...Here's where I'm at

I have the older Adler Barbor with the 4-pin Danfoss controller (no LED lights) I'd put it between 25-20 years old
Fridge quit working, the wiring was a complete mess, so I did as recommended here and re-wired everything properly, upgrading from 12 AWG to 8 AWG marine wire, properly crimped, heat shrink, etc.
Fridge still doesn't work, checked voltage at controller, solid 13 V. Every time I turn it on, the 15 A fuse on the controller blows instantly.
I bypassed the thermostat, same problem. The checklist directs one to disconnect the 4 pin from the compressor, then try again. Bingo! No blown fuse. Kollmann suggests that that probably indicates a bad compressor. So, do I just chuck the thing and consider it toast and buy a new system, or is there ANYTHING else anyone can think of to try before I drop $1500 of the Admiral's money on a new unit.
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

mark_53

From what you describe, sounds like the frig is working now.

waughoo

If it is a 4 pin controller, yoj are well past the EXPECTED service life (that was for you Stu).  I would recommend a replacement.  I have the same set up in my boat and the plan is to go with a replacement unit (non adler barbour) for about 800ish through Defender 1st.  Im just waiting for my dodger to get built to make sure i dont blow the savings account before the dodger gets paid for.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Alex- Non-Alder Barbour? Which one? I installed a new AB last month. Despite the initial problem I had with some missing parts in the box and a sloppily installed circuit board, once I dealt with those annoying but easily fixed issues, my new AB Cold Machine is working great. Way quieter than old version, super cold and draws less power. One thing that was kind of annoying was it came with two vertical ice trays included and I already had two from my old unit. Listed for $85 ea. separately in their catalogue, it would have been nice if I had the option to decline them and get a price break. :cry4`
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

This is the one I plan to install.  Ive always disliked the freezer box as it got in the way and usually ended up freezing things we didnt want frozen.  Plan is to wrap the plate around the port side and fwd side of the box. 

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=6869461
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

lazybone

Run 12v directly to the compressor nd see if it runs
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

scgunner

Tim,

Before you pull the pin on a new unit you might consider having a local marine refrigeration tech come down and see if he can sort it out or tell you if a repair is even worthwhile. I had a guy out to fix an issue with my A/B and it wasn't that expensive, I think around 90 bucks. It might save you having to replace the unit, which would be well worth it, if not you're not really out that much.

Like Noah I replaced my original A/B with a new one. I was pleased with the results, it's an improved version of the original, it's colder, smaller, quieter, and draws less power. Also install was fairly simple, basically remove and replace.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ekutney

Tim,

I helped a friend install the unit you selected to his ice box, it never had refrigeration.  I agree it was pretty straight forward & he installed the cold plate with a 90 deg bend to fit into his current ice box.  It works great & we were both surprised it does not draw much powe.  He found it online via a sale & go it for about $750 about 10 m0onthsd ago.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

waughoo

Quote from: Ekutney on February 12, 2021, 12:42:05 PM
Tim,

I helped a friend install the unit you selected to his ice box, it never had refrigeration.  I agree it was pretty straight forward & he installed the cold plate with a 90 deg bend to fit into his current ice box.  It works great & we were both surprised it does not draw much powe.  He found it online via a sale & go it for about $750 about 10 m0onthsd ago.

Good to know it fits (the measurements say so, but I'm always leery).  Mine has an old AB unit but it is not responding to any repairs attempts.  I could invest in a new control box to try and see if it would start up, however, I would rather put that money towards a unit that I know would work after spending money!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

TortolaTim

Thanks for all the tips. I'm, pretty sure the unit is toast. It's pretty close to 30 years old and I've tried everything except to connect a battery directly to the control module. I'll probably give that a try this week, but I'm probably going to start shopping for a new system. I'm liking what I'm hearing about the new ones being more efficient, lower Amperage drain, and quieter.
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

rmbrown

Loving my Fridgoboat from Coastal Climate Control in MD.  They are great to work with.   I installed myself.

My favorite part of the newer systems... likely AB as well... is that you can break the coolant line connections to repair or replace without dumping the coolant.

Two optional components I got and love are a digital thermostat and a Merlin speed control board.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC