Galvanic Isolator?

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

All - taking some time during lockdown to learn more about my boat's electrical system (had some gaps in my knowledge).  I've got hull 1494 (34 MK II built 2000).  The wiring diagram in the manual shows a galvanic isolator.  Can anyone tell me where it might be located on the boat?  (Its on the hard and covered for winter right now - don't really want to go looking for it.  Thanks in advance.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Jim Hardesty

Quotemanual shows a galvanic isolator.  Can anyone tell me where it might be located on the boat?

On Shamrock it's in the aft port locker, a few inches from the shore power inlet.  It also a circuit breaker to be compliant with having a circuit breaker close to power inlet.   FWIW  While I was crawling in that locker found the connections to be loose.  Tightening them fixed some intermittent reverse polarity lights.
Happy hunting,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Geoffreykwright

Jim - thanks.  So aft port lazarette then?  I've got the shore-power breaker there (well - one of two breakers - I also have a shore-power intake and breaker in the bow).  I'll need to take a look in the spring - never notice the isolator before.  Thanks for the tip - I'll check the connections.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

rmjohns

Jim, following this discussion. I checked on my boat over the weekend and didn't see anything besides the circuit break box under there. From your post it sounds like the galvanic isolator is in with the circuit breaker?
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Jim Lucas

Hi Rob,

On my boat it is exactly as Jim had mentioned and easily found/viewed. If not apparent, could a P/O have removed it for some reason?
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

rmjohns

Took a picture of my breaker for the 30Amp. Would the Galvanic Isolator be inside the box with the breaker or should I be able to see it somewhere under here?

Thanks,
Rob.
Rob

New Bern, NC

MarknCat

Sorry to bring back up an old thread, but I have the same year boat and I am looking for my isolator as well. It is not visible to me, would it be in the breaker enclosure? Should we be able to see the isolator in the picture above?

Thanks!!
MarknCat
Barefoot Life
C34MKii Hull #1483

rmjohns

Hey MarknCat,
    I came to the conclusion that my boat didn't come with one. Don't know if they were an option from the factory? I looked up in the aft locker and opened up the master circuit breaker box for other reasons, but I've never found one.  I purchased one, but haven't installed it yet so I just leave the boat unplugged unless I'm there.

Rob
Rob

New Bern, NC

Lucky Tiger

Here is a picture of mine located under the main breaker. I hope this helps.
2000 MKii "Lucky Tiger II" #1462