Dorade box enlargement...

Previous topic - Next topic

scgunner

Alex,

It's your boat of course, but I'd be reluctant to cut holes in my boat, especially for something as ineffective as those deck top dorades. I think I'd look for something to fit the application rather than modify(cut) the application to fit a replacement part. I replaced mine with 4" solar vents which fit without modification. The dorades are only unidirectional, don't seem to move much air, and have an annoying tendency to catch a jib sheet when tacking. The solar vents can draw air from all directions, have a fan to help move air,  and have a low profile which won't foul the jib sheets.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

waughoo

Yes... the hole drilling project does not have me excited.  I already have the new dorade boxes and cowls.  The ones i bought are rotateable by losening the screw collar and positioning them to another orientation (to allow for wind vaning).  I considered the solar vent style but we just arent in that sunny of a climate.

I figure i will mount what i have over the existing hole despite it being small (this is actually what vetus said to do).  Ill use them like they are and then can decide if i want to change them sometime in the future.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Baysider

I'm looking at the Air-only Dorades for my 1990 c34.  It turns out that they are not in Malta at this time but are in Ukraine.  I contacted them and they're still in operation, but they have to truck units out of Ukraine and get them on a plane at that point.  They're a tough bunch.  My question to Noah is, are the wood rings structural or ornamentation?  Ok two questions...where did you get them?
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Safe Harbor Willsboro Marina
Lake Champlain, NY

Noah

I needed the wood rings for sizing/spacers. They are a standard teak winch mounting ring. You should be able to find them at any well stocked chandlery. However, you may not need them depending on how the Air-Only bases  fit your deck hole and how you fill/hide old screw holes. Get the Air Only vents first then see.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Baysider

Thanks Noah, I will do that.  Thanks for the info!
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Safe Harbor Willsboro Marina
Lake Champlain, NY