1989 25xp Raw Water Hose Configuration

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Emery

I have a 1989 Universal 25XP with the Sherwood raw water pump. This is the pump where you remove three bolts from the back and pull off the pump body to expose the impeller. I need to know if the hose from the thru hull or the hose to the heat exchange should be on the top fitting. I replaced the hoses and misplaced my before diagram. I'm also looking for tricks to help the pump self prime after an impeller change.

Thanks, Dave
C-34 988

jentine

I just replaced the impeller yesterday and the intake was on the top.  No priming in necessary following an impeller replacement.  Just start the engine and the pressure of the water entering from the thru hull and the action of the pump will take care of priming.
Jim Kane

Dave Emery

Thanks for your help. The correct answer is the inlet is on top. In order to prime my pump (based on the three times I've replace the impeller). I have to open the thru hull, start a siphion on the inlet hose, once water is flowing - cover the hose end with my thumb, close the thru hull, and then install the hose on the pump attempting to loose no water in the connection process.  

Thanks, Dave

pklein

One more thing.  Put some dishwashing soap in the pump housing to provide some lubrication to the impeller before the pump is primed.  Saves those little blades from self destructing in the first 30 seconds of use.  Also, replace the O ring in the housing.  Thewre is usually one included in the impeller kit.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago