Companion way Steps

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

How about a compromise? Do your Minwax filler for teak and holly look and for anti-dirt collection in the grooves, and THEN add some nonskid strips or treads on top of that?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: Noah on January 31, 2021, 03:43:10 PM
How about a compromise? Do your Minwax filler for teak and holly look and for anti-dirt collection in the grooves, and THEN add some nonskid strips or treads on top of that?

That's what I'm thinking of doing when I refinish my steps. Found this online which might be both functional and better looking than black sandpaper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K8WTKFF?pf_rd_r=8P4PK5TXH71F7E6Y5WGG&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8&pd_rd_r=b5dc5ae7-0abe-4e7c-bd87-93dee86b15f7&pd_rd_w=GiHvG&pd_rd_wg=yMUE9&ref_=pd_gw_unk

Craig Illman

found my picture from about 12 years ago.

Jon W

Beautiful companionway stairs, I'm jealous.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

I have to say... that black line and gloss varnish is pretty compelling.  I've been considering the salt sprinkle in the top coat for traction.  I think taping off stripes between the black caulking might be the way to go.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

glennd3

I have stripped the bottom 2 steps with paint stripper then sanded and teak brightener.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

Looks nice!!  I was just looking at mine last night and thinking about your project.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

glennd3

Dont pick me apart too much! I am attempting to fill the grooves with plastic wood and I am not sure how it will end. The product dries quickly and starts to pull out so I am wetting my fingers a little like you would with caulk. I am also trying to use stains, red mahogany and red cherry, and cetol on the plywood to match the steps. I am not looking for a perfect match because at the end of the day I will be the only one that notices. I put the same none slip pad on the top step as I had before. I have not slipped on the steps since owning the boat and I believe the top step to be the ball breaker. I did use Brasso on the brackets that attach the steps, cleaned up nicely. I may still look at caulking or leaving clean the grooves. Some pictures, no order. Snowing here in Maryland.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

more
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

Quote from: Craig Illman on February 02, 2021, 12:56:48 PM
found my picture from about 12 years ago.

These steps are beautiful.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

I have one step finished.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

PaulJacobs

This forum is terrific!  On these cold winter nights, with Pleiades on the hard, I have been going though about 20 years worth of tech notes and recent forum items.  One that really caught my interest was the idea of using plastic wood to fill the grooves in our companionway stairs.  For years Nancy and I have spent umpteen hours cleaning dust and dirt out of them manually, since we are on a mooring and don't have access to a "real" vacuum cleaner (we have tried 12 volt portable vacuums with marginal results).  When cruising, it seemed that we would barely get the grooves clean, and by the next day they were dirty all over again! :cry4`

So, when I saw this forum, with the photographs I decided to "do it"!  I took home the upper two-step portion of the companionway stairs. I then unscrewed the brass "catches" that secure the upper companionway steps to the inside of the forward end of the cockpit, filed and fine sanded them to remove all crud and mild casting artifacts (hey, it was a long winter night!). Next, I sanded everything with 220 grit sandpaper, on a sanding block - front, back, the twin steps, inside sides, outside sides and even the under-step reinforcements.  Then I used 100 grit sandpaper wrapped around a Phillips screwdriver to sand inside every groove - taking great care not to round the edges of the grooves.  This was a bit tedious, but probably took less than an hour. Next, I used a 1" wide putty knife to spread the DAP "Light Oak" plastic wood filler into the grooves.  Since the filler shrinks slightly on curing, I had to sand off the excess (the stuff sands quite easily), refill, re-sand, and finally touch-up any rough sports, apply a third and final application, and then sand the steps until completely smooth.

Then, I vacuumed everything, wiped three times with a tack rag, and applied a first coat of Epifanes "satin finish" varnish thinned with 15% mineral spirits, and using a badger-hair brush applied the first coat of varnish in our basement at about 9 am yesterday morning.  Without any intermediate sanding, when "tacky" I applied the second coat of Epifanes "satin" varnish thinned this time with 10% mineral spirits at 1 pm.  Then, same process for the third coat at about 5 pm, and finally applied the fourth and final coat around 9 pm last night. 

This morning, the upper portion of the companionway is dry and looks ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! :clap :clap.

I plan to return to Pleiades in a few days, put the upper portion of the companionway steps back in place, and take home the lower two-step portion --- and repeat the process.  What a great wintertime project! :santa

glennd3

I stopped filling the bottom steps. I am not sure the wood filler will hold so I am going to use the top steps as a test this year. I used the old plywood as a template for the holes to attach the steps. I did not have to remove the bolts from the bottom step.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

Quote from: glennd3 on February 19, 2021, 08:43:41 AM
I stopped filling the bottom steps. I am not sure the wood filler will hold so I am going to use the top steps as a test this year. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

In Reply #4, I included a picture of our steps.  My wife put that wood filler there in 1998 or 1999.  That picture was taken in 2017.  Your plan may make sense, but my experience differs.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

glennd3

I was able to pop the filler out easily. I think if you cut a ridge in the side of the groove it would help keep the filler in place.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland