Spinnaker pole on mast mounted track?

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral_Swellson

Hello everyone, I'm considering mounting my huge spinnaker pole on the mast to get it off the starboard deck, where it's currently stowed. I've not found much details on this when searching the forum but I could have missed it...

Can those who've made this upgrade/modification chime in with their experiences, parts lists, would they do it again, etc. 

Thanks!

Stu Jackson

Our boat's PO had installed an adjustable car and an on-deck holder for the pole.  There's a track on the mast with the car and end fitting for the upper end of the pole.  I don't have any parts list because it was there when we got the boat.

The one thing I can advise is this:  You MUST lubricate the pole pistons, regularly, not just occasionally, or else the lower one WILL start getting stuck.  This is because it is a stainless piston inside an aluminum housing.

I'm sure there are directions for sizing and parts on the internet.  I'd start with the Harken website.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Admiral_Swellson

Jon W

I have a whisker pole stored on a mast mounted track. Reading my invoice - The track is a 10 ft long Schaefer 1.25" track. The pole is 3" clear anodized aluminum tubing for whisker and spinnaker poles. There's a 350 Ultra EF on one end and a 350 Ultra UTS on the other end. It has up down controls and a topping lift with some eye straps, blocks, 2 jam cleats and line.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca