Mast tunning after re-stepping

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

So my mast is back up and had a rigger come help when when I was getting it re-stepped. Yes I could just hire a rigger to come and tune it for me but I wouldn't learn anything. Haven't found anything very simple to follow when it comes to instructions on how to do it. Read in the c34 manual and I'm still having doubts I'm understanding it properly.

I'm going to purchase a tension gauge to help me with tunning but from what I understand it's not the only think you need.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? A YouTube tutorial or something easy to follow?

Thank you!
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Jim Hardesty

Antoni,
Your picture shows your boat still on the hard, if that's the case I wouldn't recommend tuning till it's been floating for at least a couple of days.  I believe final tuning should be done only by sailing.  Minimal weather helm, minimal slack on the leeward shrouds, etc.
Catalinas are simple to tune.  I'm sure good instruction can be found here.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

LogoFreak

Yes still on the hard, splashing at the end of February. For sure waiting till I'm on the water to do any type of adjusting, but wanted to start figuring it out and getting comfortable with the process.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Found this guide.
https://www.northsails.com/sailing/en/2016/10/how-to-tune-your-rig

Still doesn't say how tight to get the uppers, I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the uppers should be tighten to a certain percentage of the wires breaking strength and then fine tunning under sail.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Jim Hardesty

QuoteStill doesn't say how tight to get the uppers, I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the uppers should be tighten to a certain percentage of the wires breaking strength and then fine tuning under sail.

Good information.  I attach the end of my 50' steel tape to the halyard and measure rather than using only the halyard.  I set the cap shrouds with the Loos gage then notice how tight the leeward shrouds are when sailing beam to in 20-25 knots, adjust (at the dock for me) a turn or two on each side, repeat, till leeward shrouds have no slack when in like condition.  I use the Loos gage to make sure I don't overtighten.
FWIW   I would not start adjusting the forestay. Hopefully it wasn't adjusted stepping the mast.  Try it the way the PO had it set.  Then adjust if needed.

Hope it all works out,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waughoo

I'm in the same stage.  Tuning in for when I launch as this is all new for me with this boat.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Forestay is brand new as well as a brand new Harken MKIV furler.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Kyle Ewing

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Ron Hill

Antoni : You can "pre"-tune on the hard, but as Jim mentioned the final tune must be after the boat has been in the water at least 24hrs - best 48hrs.  That way the hull is back in it's normal shape!!

Loss gage measurements are listed in WiKi

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

Thank Ron! Definitely reading it, been watching whatever YouTube video I can find on the subject, start to feel comfortable with attempting to do it myself.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Antoni : The pre-tune I mentioned on the hard, is to get the mast in column so it's straight (with some rake) and all the rigging is just snug.
Just make sure before hand that the hull has been placed evenly on the jack stands. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788