Great new storage locker in Vee Birth starboard side

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

I was finding the storage under the vee-birth somewhat a PIA to get to with having to lift; or remove cushions all together to access. Certainly not stowage of anything you would want to get to quickly.
So I decided to add a locker on the starboard side just forward of the hanging locker where I could just lift up the end of the bed cushion on that side, pull up a hatch board and access pretty easily.
I added a glassed in bulkhead forward to contain everything. I added a top access panel as well as a louver door for front access. This ended up being a great place to put my tool bag, spares, hardware containers and other repair odds and ends. Before this, when we were loaded up with food and beverage, my tool bag was usually left out on the floor somewhere.
I also added a matching louver door on the port side which is a great place to store fishing poles or anything else long that you can reach in and pull out.)

It really taps into space that was previously pretty much unusable.
For the top hatch board, I epoxy coated plain old plywood but I would like to find the plywood that Catalina used for hatch boards. Does anyone know what that material is called and know if it is available?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Set2sea

Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

waughoo

I know it as Sign painters board.  It has another name.  I'm sure someone else will jump in shortly.  Very cool storage addition!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

The hatch cover material is called "MDO".
Looks good! How did you make the recess/rabbit to insert the top cover?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Set2sea

The rabbit flange is glassed plywood that is epoxied and screwed from top with countersunk screws. I drove the screw heads far enough down in vee birth top surface to epoxy fill over.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

ewengstrom

Nice solution!!!! We found this area to be lost (or just difficult to access) too. I just finished this mod a few weeks ago.
Sure makes getting to that area much easier!!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15