Rewiring my boat

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

Hello,

I will be tackling this job in the near future and decided to start with drawing up a diagram of the AC/DC system. I'll post updates as I go along, for those of you that have the expertise or are perhaps even marine electricians feel free to comment on any issues you might see.

I'm not in any way certified and I'm simply doing what I feel is the right way of doing it after years of reading and researching.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Bill Shreeves

Logo,
What software are you using?  I'm about to start diagramming mine beginning with the battery and charging system and just casually started looking for a program to use.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

LogoFreak

Hi Bill,

I'm using turboCAD v12 but I think you can use just about any vector program. I just liked it and have been using it for a while, although last time I did anything was 4 years ago and I'm slowly re learning.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Ekutney

I find VISIO to be a good SW program for quick simple drawings.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

mark_53

Quote from: LogoFreak on January 24, 2021, 06:59:34 PM
Hello,

I will be tackling this job in the near future and decided to start with drawing up a diagram of the AC/DC system. I'll post updates as I go along, for those of you that have the expertise or are perhaps even marine electricians feel free to comment on any issues you might see.

I'm not in any way certified and I'm simply doing what I feel is the right way of doing it after years of reading and researching.

Seems like your alternator should go to the house bank then to the ACR.  I don't see how the house bank is charged but I'm not an electrician either.

LogoFreak

Quote from: mark_53 on February 18, 2021, 10:42:32 AM
Quote from: LogoFreak on January 24, 2021, 06:59:34 PM
Hello,

Seems like your alternator should go to the house bank then to the ACR.  I don't see how the house bank is charged but I'm not an electrician either.

That's exactly how it's connected in the diagram.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

The return electrical path on the 120v is through the shore power cable.  The 12v return is through the battery sometimes via the engine to the battery.  I suspect having some path for a lighting strike to "earth" via the shaft is a good idea.  Again, I look forward to someone with more knowledge to join the discussion.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ekutney on February 18, 2021, 05:55:38 AM
I find VISIO to be a good SW program for quick simple drawings.

I will ditto that.  it is essentially a poor person's CAD, with (albeit more difficult to do than in full-featured CAD) measuring and precise dimensioned and scaled drawings, etc.

Also, many use Sketch Up.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Going back to the original question:

Is there a reason the AO does not go directly to the house bank (or its + busbar)?

IIRC, most ACRs instruct that the installation to go to batteries with fuses, rather than "elsewhere."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

LogoFreak

Re wiring the battery compartment today. Love the FTZ crimper, got it after reading Mainsails how to's.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Mostly done, but still need to attach my victron smartshunt and a couple of bus bars.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

KWKloeber

Remember to balance the batteries.  Don't pull/charge from one end.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Antoni : I'd connect the outgoing negative to the far battery negative rather than connected to the same battery that the outgoing positive is connected to like shown!  Then the current is flowing through all three of the batteries.

Also I would tie down those batteries!!  There is at least one Mainsheet Tech note article on tieing down Golf Cart batteries in a MKI battery compartment!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

LogoFreak

Nothings gets passed you guys LOL!
All suggestions are part of my plan, I just didn't have enough time to get it all done and I can't leave the boat without power. So I still need to add my shunt and a couple of bus bars. It will be wired just like the diagram I made.

As for the straps 100% happening, I just need to make a new board for the batteries to sit on as the one that was there has a bit of rot. I'll be using a ratchet strap to secure them all.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179