Instrument panel rewire

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Noah : Thanks - Guys there are numerous electrical connections on your C34 that are not prone to ANY vibration!!  A crimped and soldered connection gives the BEST electrical connection in a salt air environment.
This is especially true with the battery lug connections - I've never had a problem starting and I still have the factory size (mostly the original) #4 wire, but the lugs are crimped and soldered!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Noah,

I know that's the standard for wiring but man... I solder (only) tons of stuff.  Especially when it is very small diameter wire.  Larger wire where I am using lugs makes a lot of sense to crimp.  I have just not had much luck with anything below about 16ga wire staying put in a crimp connector even when using the appropriate ratchet jaw crimper.  The crimp connectors with adhesive shrink wrap give me the most confidence as they at least provide some strain relief via the shrink wrap.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Alex : I agree.  I crimp and solder everything (belt & suspenders) even the #4 wire ring connectors on the alternator.  I have had a broken ring connector, but that was after 4000 hours of the engine running!!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

You may want to check these. I have not used them but the guys in my British car club like them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wh5gM8GM70
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Be very cautious. Somewhere I read a review of this type connector and they had a super high failure rate and could NOT survive the "pull test." They also found it tricky to get the solder to flow properly without burning the insulation. I will see if I can locate the test/review.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

mark_53

So how do you solder a butt connector that's been crimped?

Ron Hill

Mark : You can't solder a butt connector that has already been crimped!!  The best thing is to cut out the but connector and solder the wires and cover the joint with heat shrink!!

What I do to join 2 wires together is slice a piece of heat shrink and slide it over one of the wires.  Then twist the wire ends together and solder them. Slide down the heat shrink (when cool) over the soldered connection, and then hit the heat shrink with a heat gun.

If the wires are marine grade wire it's very easy to solder.  If regular copper wire - sand the strands with fine sand paper first - till shinny then solder.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 28, 2022, 02:05:58 PM
Alex : I agree.  I crimp and solder everything (belt & suspenders) even the #4 wire ring connectors on the alternator.  I have had a broken ring connector, but that was after 4000 hours of the engine running!!! 

A few thoughts
Ron— I believe this statement was confusing... you said solder AND crimp...?
Standard Rig

Jon W

Some tinned copper lugs have a small hole to solder after crimping the lug to a wire/cable. Maybe that's what Ron was referring to.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Catalina007

Quote from: glennd3 on December 29, 2022, 09:18:23 AM
You may want to check these. I have not used them but the guys in my British car club like them.

Hate to sound negative, but the last place I would take suggestions from on automotive electrics is from an
organization involving British cars. :(

glennd3

At least they did not use trailer connections. :D

:D
Quote from: Catalina007 on December 30, 2022, 08:25:59 AM
Quote from: glennd3 on December 29, 2022, 09:18:23 AM

Hate to sound negative, but the last place I would take suggestions from on automotive electrics is from an
organization involving British cars. :(
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Noah & Guys : To end the confusion, I do NOT use butt connectors- period!! I join 2 wire as mentioned above!!

I first crimp to a lug, ring or fork connector and then solder the exposed end.  If the lug is closed, I drill a small hole near the closed end, heat the lug and let the solder flow into the hole. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ron—so how do you put two wire together? Always use a terminal strip and rings or forks?
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah : If it just so happens that both ends have a ring connector (and I'm in a hurry) I've put them together with a small nut&bolt; then slid a piece of large heat shrink or tape over the connection to protect it!!

I purchased a butane soldering iron that is very handy, especially when you are up the mast!!

a thought
Ron, Apache #788