Trip Videos

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

I am planning to take a 300 mile trip this summer from Baltimore to Norfolk. I was thinking I could post videos and some text about the trip. Would that be allowed on this site. Also can the video portion be loaded directly or would I have to do a link to Youtube?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

I'd be interested to watch.  Not sure about what's allowed.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Quote from: glennd3 on January 23, 2021, 09:30:19 AM
I am planning to take a 300 mile trip this summer from Baltimore to Norfolk. I was thinking I could post videos and some text about the trip. Would that be allowed on this site. Also can the video portion be loaded directly or would I have to do a link to Youtube?

That would be great.  To do that you'd have to take a look at what attachments are allowed on this forum.  Better yet would be to do this in the wiki and then post that you've done so here to send folks there.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kyle Ewing

I'd like to see it on YouTube.  It can be "cast" to or played on TVs and more people will have the opportunity to see it.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

KWKloeber

Stu/Glenn

Just a heads up that videos aren't a permitted file type on the forum or wiki site.  I presume so because they would eat up storage space like krazy.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on January 24, 2021, 08:14:41 PM
Stu/Glenn

Just a heads up that videos aren't a permitted file type on the forum or wiki site.  I presume so because they would eat up storage space like krazy.

Which is a perfect reason to simply use LINKS.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

glennd3

Stu please dont get mad at me as this will be a work in  progress for me, I may have smoked pot in High School :shock:. What do you mean by Links. I am assuming post thru Wiki. I think I can record video thru my GOPRO then download to my phone or laptop while on the cruise. Then I can upload to wiki or youtube. I plan on doing some trials before we ship off.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

Quote from: glennd3 on January 25, 2021, 10:37:19 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
What do you mean by Links. >>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A link is like this: 

Electrical Systems 101   http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5977.0.html

It's the http or https with the text after it, so that you can click on it and go directly to another 'site without cutting & pasting URLs.  In the text controls above every thread you post in, second row, second from the left, is a GLOBE, which makes text into a url link.

So, type the text where you choose to do so.  But as Ken K noted you can't attach certain files to this forum or the wiki, so you use the links to allow your readers to view your videos.

And you could post a topic here with a link to, for example, the the specific wiki page (if that's where you choose to do your text).

KWKloeber

Glenn

You could create a Channel on YouTube just for the trip. Like here:

https://youtube.com/c/Wandersailing

And each time you post a new vid subscribers to that channel can be notified if they so choose. Or you could post links here to each new vid.
I've seen YouTube-ers who have quite a long bit of text associated with a vid or channel but I don't know the limits on that or if it would work for you to put vids and pics and a written trip log in one location/site.

You might also look at BlueBoatLog.com where your trip map is automatically posted from you phone or tablet GPS and you can have pics and a trip log each day.  My bro used it here:
https://blueboatlog.com/route/5d446ae2c8b73b0e5057c579
No vids there though but you could put the YouTube links into your trip log.   
He did a trial trip with his car to get a feel for how it worked.

If you have an iPhone you can share a link to vids you shout that will be on your iCloud.
Or you could upload vids pics and a trip log to a google drive page and share that link here.

Many ways to skin a cat, although I can't see why anyone would want to do that.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Quote from: KWKloeber on January 25, 2021, 12:16:10 PM
Many ways to skin a cat, although I can't see why anyone would want to do that.

I've always found this turn of phrase to be curious as well.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

Glenn,
This is going to be one fun trip!!!! Our family has cruised the Chesapeake almost annually since 1994 from Norfolk to the C&D canal and one of our most memorable trips was south to Norfolk, big(er) water down there and longer distances, but none so long you can't find an anchorage within reach of a good day of sailing.
We keep Ohana on the Potomac (in Colonial Beach) and have the opportunity to cruise with friends up north this summer all the way to the C&D again or we may just head south on our own, it all depends on the COVID situation. I'm leaning toward the southern bay as we haven't done that in a few years.
Do you have a time frame for your trip yet?
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

glennd3

July or August, I am retiring in June.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

rmjohns

Glenn,
    Sounds like you're going to have to rename the boat.

I look forward to watching the videos!.

Rob
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

wingman

Glenn, you will have a great time on your trip. i've got a similar trip planned from Annapolis to Norfolk, anchoring on the southbound segment on the Virginia side and Eastern Shore/Tangier Sound on the way back north. Consider spending a couple nights at either Smith Island or Tangier Island, you will feel like you are in a different world.
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

Bill Shreeves

Two destinations I've been wanting to cruise to since I moved my boat to the Northern Chesapeake from the Jersey coast in 2017.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD