Traveler and Main Sheet Block upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

I was able to install the traveler today. The hardest part of the install was removing the large screw/bolt, I had 2 different, from the traveler bar that hold the 2 large end brackets. Impact screwdriver was a must. I still need to get longer lines. I have to install the mainsheet blocks but it was cold and windy.  Also garhauer treated the screws with some "chapstick".
Some Pictures.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

Looks really nice!!  The chapstick garhauer uses is likely Tefgel.  Mine had that on it as well.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

wingman

Quote from: glennd3 on February 06, 2021, 12:07:38 PM
I was able to install the traveler today. The hardest part of the install was removing the large screw/bolt, I had 2 different, from the traveler bar that hold the 2 large end brackets. Impact screwdriver was a must. I still need to get longer lines. I have to install the mainsheet blocks but it was cold and windy.  Also garhauer treated the screws with some "chapstick".
Some Pictures.

Glennd3: New traveller looks great! I got new mainsheet blocks from GH and plan to install sometime after the next snow storm.

I also got new standup blocks for the mainsheet system but the diameter of the bolts are significantly larger. Not sure I am up for drilling larger holes. Anyone have experience replacing the mainsheet standup blocks?
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

wingman

two standup blocks either side of the mast

wingman

how do you insert pics in the message so they don't have to be downloaded?

waughoo

Wingman... based on your boat's year, you have a Mk2 which would have plates glassed into the deck to hold the blocks on either side of the mast for the mainsheet.  Is tjat the blocks you speak of?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Quote from: wingman on February 06, 2021, 07:46:05 PM

When you create or reply or quote a message, below the box in which you type in there's an expandable menu that says "attachments and other options", click on the "+" sign and you'll see options for attaching files. You can then click on "(more attachments)" to add more pictures. Files must be under one megabyte. If you're sending pictures from an iPhone when you select a picture it gives you to option to resize a pic and let's you know how big the file size will be.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

wingman

Quote from: waughoo on February 06, 2021, 10:23:35 PM
Wingman... based on your boat's year, you have a Mk2 which would have plates glassed into the deck to hold the blocks on either side of the mast for the mainsheet.  Is tjat the blocks you speak of?

Alex: they are plastic and ss plates that hold the block and are bolted through the cabin top, i attached a couple pics last night.

logo: i must be missing a step, because i followed your instructions but pics show up in my post as downloads.

glennd3

Wingman I take my pictures on my Iphone then email them to myself. Then I download them on my laptop. Then I attach them to the post from my documents, works easily.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

Try jpg not pdf
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

wingman

Quote from: Stu Jackson on February 07, 2021, 12:08:35 PM

Try jpg not pdf

Thanks Stu, success.

Now will you talk me out of drilling bigger holes in the cabin top? :D

waughoo

So im a bit confused why you want to replace those.  They appear to be in fine shape to me.  They might need a little clean up, but otherwise they are similar quality and design that I've gotten from garhauer recently.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

I was wrong.  In looking for traveler pictures, I came across this:

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

Very interesting Stu!!  This is promising.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte