Traveler and Main Sheet Block upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

I may have been one of Guido's last orders for our club. Dave finished assembling the order and it arrived today, took about a month. Some pictures, I am happy with the order.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

Your's must have been assembled nearly at the same time as mine!  I just installed mine on the boat last weekend.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

Super easy.  The only issue I had was getting the end stop off.  I eventually broke the head of the screw trying to get it out.  That allowed me to swap the new one on, but now i need to drill out the screw and repair it so i can reinstall the end cap.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Nice, Glenn.  Like Xmas all over again!  I remember when I got ours.  Great improvement.

I notice you still have the cam cleats on the end cars.  Do you have a dodger?

Recommend using Lanocote or TefGel on all bolts.  ALL of them.

Happy sail trimming!   :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

glennd3

I have been soaking that screw but fear I may have the same results.

Quote from: waughoo on January 22, 2021, 07:52:05 PM
Super easy.  The only issue I had was getting the end stop off.  I eventually broke the head of the screw trying to get it out.  That allowed me to swap the new one on, but now i need to drill out the screw and repair it so i can reinstall the end cap.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

Quote from: Stu Jackson on January 22, 2021, 08:33:34 PM

Recommend using Lanocote or TefGel on all bolts.  ALL of them.

Happy sail trimming!   :clap

I second the use of tefgel.  Lanacote as a close second.  Tefgel survives hot and cold cycles.  Lanicote can weep out in high temps.

I can also recommend the dodger mod.  I had garhauer build mine with the turning blocks.  I then will use halyard exit blocks on the face of the traveler riser and mount two cam cleats on 1" risers on the cabin top.  I plan to mount those next week.  I'll try to remember to get photos.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Quote from: glennd3 on January 23, 2021, 05:44:15 AM
I have been soaking that screw but fear I may have the same results.

An impact screwdriver is helpful for those.

I asked before but it may have been lost in the text:  Do you have a dodger?  'Cuz you have the cam cleats still on the traveler.  That's what Alex was talking about.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

glennd3

Yes I do. I am having it modified to run the lines through.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Guys : I found something that I use rather than Tefgel or Lanocoat.  It will not fade in heat, comes in it's own applicator tube and it's easy to carry around in your pocket or tool kit.  Just rub it on threads or any dissimilar metals.  You probably have some already onboard!!!

It's called Chapstick!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: glennd3 on January 23, 2021, 12:51:33 PM
Yes I do. I am having it modified to run the lines through.

Glenn, my old dodger had slits to be able to use the cam cleats on my old traveler.  Once I had the new traveler built with the sheaves, I installed cam cleats on the cabintop.  My new dodger did away with the slits and has grommet holes for the traveler control lines.  It's much easier to use that way.  Dave Sanner also encourages the use of swivel cam cleats on the cabintop.

waughoo

I would SERIOUSLY consider the turning blocks.  It moves the dodger modification OUT of the glass and down to the cabin top level.  Additionally, the cam cleat is INSIDE the dodger.

Stu... I went with extreme angle fairleads on my harken cam cleats.  This SHOULD allow me to trip and reset them from the center companion way area rather than having to reach down low and high to set them.

https://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?sku=375
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

glennd3

I removed the screws and bolts, used impact screwdriver. Will wait to spring to install new parts.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

I used my makita impact driver and had no success.  I even went through about 14 bits (impact rated) and still had no joy.  I'm envious of your success.  How come you are waiting till spring to install?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

glennd3

Boat is out of water. Thought I would just wait. I just wanted to make sure I would not run into a problem when I do go to install. How long are your lines for the traveler?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland