Transom rubrail

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloeter

After a thorough search I have found nothing on this topic so here goes.  Maybe I am the only boat driver among who has managed to ding up the hard edge of the transom, or not. Along with scraping a few lock walls last year on the way south is our aluminum dinghy with a towing eye at just the right height to slam into fiberglass. I have checked with the rubrail mfg Taco and they have nothing that would make the curve gracefully. Some European boats, maybe expected to be med moored, have a serious rubber edge back there and even multiple charter boaters cannot destroy the stern. 
Has anyone among us tackled this issue? Or am I truly the only one among us with a dinged transom?
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

glennd3

I am a little dinged up but for me to do what you are thinking it would have to look nice.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Jim Hardesty

Dietrich,

Perhaps it would be worth looking at auto and truck accessories.   Most mount with trim tape, no screws. 
Just a thought,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Dietrich : Go to a Hunter dealer and ask them.  I've seen some of the older Hunters with a very nice rubber edging all the way around the transom.  Not sure if it was screwed on or how it was secured, but it was a very nice heavy duty bump strip.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

dfloeter

I certainly do not want to trash the elegance of the transom with some heavy handed treatment. Thanks for the input on Hunter and auto parts. The Hunter parts department has been a good source for reasonably priced parts or at least used to be before the ownership change. Barring those options maybe my gelcoat skills just need improvement.  😃
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

scgunner

Dietrich,

I've also had to do numerous chip and ding repairs on my transom over the years until I installed a swim platform which now protects the transom although absorbs damage for stern incidents. An example, while I was sitting on a moor in Avalon a powerboat came into his mooring way to fast and slammed into me putting a large gash in the platform. I was able to pull the platform off and repair it in my garage, which was much easier than doing it on the boat. But there was no damage to the transom itself.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273