Updated advice on Engel

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Lucas

Hi all,
I've been searching posts and then wondering if anyone had some updated advice on adding additional freezer/cooler?

Last season we used our fridge for general refrigerated items and a separate cooler with ice for frozen foods. We rotated frozen jugs of water from the freezer section of the fridge to the cooler to help but it was a struggle to keep things from defrosting while away on an extended cruise.

I was going to look at a higher end cooler (Yeti) but then was wondering about stepping up to an Engel 12 volt.
Is the cost jump worthwhile and, if so, ideas on best size and location to keep it?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

Patches

+1

I intend to buy one this spring and put it in the aft cabin on the seat (cushion removed).  I've had a Coleman "Coastal Extreme"--70 quart-- in that location for the past year.  Both the Engel MR 40 and and MT 45 have similar outside dimensions, and would fit through the door to the aft cabin.

So, like Jim, would appreciate any feedback!

Patches

Noah

If you haven't already, you might also compare/consider the Dometic models.
https://www.dometic.com/en-au/au/lp/cfx3
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Lucas

Hi Noah,
I'll look at the Dometic. Not good dealer representation here but worth looking at a comparable.

I'm interested in size and best location.
Patches mentioned he was considering the seat in the aft cabin. Alternatively, we use our aft cabin for kids and guest so was thinking of under the nav table or even in the hanging locker beside the nav table (doubt it's wide enough) but need to do some measuring. 
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

Noah

I believe Sure Marine in Seattle is a Dometic dealer.
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Jim,
See my post #5 at
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10840.0.html

I've only used it one season and like it.  With only 2 on board didn't find that location to be in the way.  Still a work in progress.   Looked at and thought about others but although not the lowest cost looked like the best for my use.  That was for keeping frozen food frozen for an extended time.  Has not disappointed.
Purchased direct from Engel, when on sale, I see that at times they have factory rebuilds.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Lucas

Thanks Jim.
Good review. I'll have to do some measurements and design to see if I can get it to work under the nav table. If anyone has done this and could advise/pics on an installation, would love to see.
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

Jim Hardesty

Jim,
I mocked up a cardboard box the size of the Engel and tried every place on Shamrock I could think of.  Decided, at least for now, not to put it in aft cabin.  Didn't want to restrict access to stuffing box and engine strainer.  A long wire run for the dc was also a factor. 
For the current spot, made a spacer to keep the fridge off the cushion and cut a small ratchet strap fastening to under cushion through the handles.  Was very secure.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Lucas

Jim,
The cardboard box method is ideal and I'll look at the different model sizes to see what would work best. I'm pretty committed to trying to make the Nav table foot well work. Pretty sure I'll need to make a platform to even up the floor/gain depth and also for securing.

I'll advise what I can come up with but suspect I may have to go with a smaller model.

Patches,
I'd be interested to see what you come up with on placement and model size..

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

Patches

I noticed that Jim H. has a Mark 2.  I have a Mark 1.25, and having the cooler on the aft cabin seat, cushion removed, does not impede access to my stuffing box (now dripless).  In the Mark 2 aft cabin, it looks like the seat is shaved down to allow for a locker forward.  In that case, probably not a good location for the Engel.

Patches

Jim Lucas

Quote from: Patches on January 19, 2021, 09:15:28 AM
I noticed that Jim H. has a Mark 2.  I have a Mark 1.25, and having the cooler on the aft cabin seat, cushion removed, does not impede access to my stuffing box (now dripless).  In the Mark 2 aft cabin, it looks like the seat is shaved down to allow for a locker forward.  In that case, probably not a good location for the Engel.

Patches

That's exactly the problem I'm looking at.
If I could squeeze into the hanging locker between the head and nav table, that would be great but think it may be easier under the nav table...
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

glennd3

The PO for my boat had a cooler /freezer ,ac/dc,  that came with my boat. it was located under the nav station. It was nice but stuck out about 6 inches into the cabin. This annoyed the wife. We sold it and replaced it with a yeti which fits under the nav station. We use that for drinks and ice during the day so we do not open the boat refer compartment. We found the actual usable space in the cooler freezer was small for the size of the unit. I will say it kept stuff frozen, no problem. The way we cruise, about a week at a time and marinas every couple of days, we did not need the unit.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Jim Lucas

I picked up a new Engel MT35 today (boat show sale) and will now work at finding the best location. The 35 seemed to be the best size for fitting in somewhere nicely and still having a reasonable volume. I'll post again when I finish installing.

Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

Jim Lucas

Picked up the new Fridge/freezer. Love the new Platinum colour and the size of the MT35 seems to be best suited to the C34. I took Jim Hardesty's advice and made a cardboard mock-up. The best placement on the MKII seems to be simply under the settee table (aft side). It also fits nicely on the floor in the V-berth with enough room still for walking around, so a couple of alternatives, if needed.
The weight, low CoG and good grippy feet on this unit should be quite secure but I'll still look at fastening it in place with tie strapping of some sort.

Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

Noah

Interesting packaging/marketing slogan on box: "Japanese Design & Technology"  :?
Standard Rig