Aft berth leak

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Butler

I had a similar leak on my mkII. The source was the binnacle guard which had been removed by the PO or contractor to install a new autohelm display and not properly re-sealed. I was able to loosen the foot brackets and get enough movement to apply a bead of butyl tape around the flanges and re-tighten. I'm hoping this does the trick. The boat is currently under its winter cover so I will have to wait until spring to see if the leak has stopped. Didn't really notice the leak until I removed the bimini canvas and we had some rain prior to fall lift out.
2006 Catalina 34MkII "Calypso"
Hull #1746
Niagara-on-the-Lake Sailing Club
Niagara-on-the-Lake ON Canada

Stu Jackson

There may be other sources, too.

From my 2019 Tech Note on cockpit Beckson ports:

Soon after we moved to Canada, and rain (!), I had lunch with Jeff Tancock, #630, Stray Cat, and we went to his boat where he showed me an aft cabin leak that appeared as a trace of water on the aft teak bulkhead.  The end result was a pool of water under the starboard side of the aft cushion.  He explained all the work he'd done to trace it down, including complicated work such as binnacle bedding.  He later reported to me that he'd finally traced the leak to the aft Beckson portlight by putting some plywood over it the next time it rained.  Wouldn't you know, I ended up with exactly the same leak the following rainy season!  Thanks to Jeff I didn't have to reinvent the wheel about the possible source.

Not applicable to Mark II boats.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

glennd3

Noah has the cleanest bilge/inside hull!

Quote from: Noah on January 17, 2021, 04:34:41 PM
If you do remove the teak plywood athwartship bulkhead, and There is not a water tank there, please post a picture. I am curious as to what Catalina used that "future aft water tank space" for. Lots of space there. You could possibly make a locker out of it? For your info, pics of my 1990.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

scgunner

Noah,

Excellent pictures, not only shows how to access the rear area for possible leaks, it also show how best to access the reefer compressor for service or replacement. Also while your there check those scupper drain hoses, they're much easier to change if needed.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Yes, there are some "minor" cracking on the scupper hoses. I bought replacement hoses but decided to gamble and wait until my haul out in 6 months and change them then because I will change the thru-hulls in transom at the same time. I didn't want to crack the nylon thru-hull while attempting to change the hoses while in the water.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jon W on January 17, 2021, 10:13:13 AM
My 1987 has an aft tank behind the bulkhead, but I wasn't sure if the 1986 had a tank there so thought I'd mention the possibility.

FYI - A non water leak thing to check in this same area are the pins for the steering cable pulleys. Are they brass or SST? If brass you should plan to change them to SST. If you haven't already, read through the Critical Upgrades listed on the main page of the Forum. Very helpful list for a new owner.

My '86 does have that aft water tank.

Agree that Critical Upgrades is a necessary read for the new owner of an '86 boat.  That's why we started that topic in the first place.  Thanks for the reminder, Jon.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

derekb

Quote from: glennd3 on January 17, 2021, 03:50:54 PM
As long as you are back there you may want to remove both wood panels and look around. Fuel tank, thru hulls, water tank........

Glenn, looking at the photo which Junaido posted, his boat does not appear to have the removable wood panel on the aft wall of the aft cabin (my '86 Mk I does not have the removable aft wall either).
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

junaido

Quote from: derekb on January 18, 2021, 02:50:22 PM
Quote from: glennd3 on January 17, 2021, 03:50:54 PM
As long as you are back there you may want to remove both wood panels and look around. Fuel tank, thru hulls, water tank........

Glenn, looking at the photo which Junaido posted, his boat does not appear to have the removable wood panel on the aft wall of the aft cabin (my '86 Mk I does not have the removable aft wall either).

Yes it's just a fiberglass aft bulkhead with presumably the lazarette behind it containing CNG tanks.  I didn't see any fasteners in it.
1986 #105, std. rig,  M25, Everett, WA

Noah

Seems like an opportunity there to put some access doors or a hatch on that bulkhead to get access/storage?
Standard Rig

derekb

Quote from: Noah on January 18, 2021, 03:38:00 PM
Seems like an opportunity there to put some access doors or a hatch on that bulkhead to get access/storage?

Hi Noah, you're right! In fact I already have 3 large hatches already purchased, just waiting for me to empty out the aft lazarette before cutting some holes. The PO installed two extra batteries back there, so I have to make sure there is clearance for my jig-saw blade before cutting! I'll add pictures once this little project is done...
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Stu Jackson

Quote from: derekb on January 18, 2021, 02:50:22 PM

Good point.

Here's what mine looks like. 

Those two extra studs and nuts in the middle are a not-so-clever idea the PO had:  he put a U bolt through to just in front of the wheel to hook a tether on.  Not planning so well, he ended up drilling right into the damned idler wheel cover!!!

I'm sure that the earliest boats in 1986 had some details that were different than even later boats in that year.  I had the pleasure of being on Al Watson's #55, Kindred Spirit (now owned by Dave Commando), many years ago, and noticed the differences in his companionway stairs from mine.  He also didn't have the overhead handrail over the galley sink and kept hitting his head whenever he was on my boat!  :D 

I also recall reading about different water tanks, although I don't think bladders were ever OEM.  I'll see if I can find my copy of the very first C34 brochures which did show some of the differences.

junaido

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the pics. Do I see some evidence of caulking on that cover?
1986 #105, std. rig,  M25, Everett, WA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: junaido on January 22, 2021, 09:27:42 AM
Hi Stu,

Thanks for the pics. Do I see some evidence of caulking on that cover?

No.  I went back to my original photos and looked carefully.  What "appears" to be caulk is simply the line left by the doghouse on the shiny gelcoat above.  It seemed to have rubbed a bit of the shine off.

Noah

My boat has "always" had 1/4 wide strip of sticky-back foam tape on the doghouse where it mates to bulkhead. Why? Who knows? But I never bothered to remove it.  And, I have unscrewed it more times than I would like to count! Each time removing it and that bulkhead was going to be my "last time"!
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on January 22, 2021, 12:33:24 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And, I have unscrewed it more times than I would like to count! Each time removing it and that bulkhead was going to be my "last time"!

I have never removed mine until last August (2020).  The reason is the aforementioned U bolt that my PO dolt had installed.  Here it is:

I've kept it out, covered the hole and need to fill and seal it in the springtime. While the concept may have had merit, I never used it.  If one wanted to, a much better location would have been centered under the companionway entrance.  I am not a slave behind the wheel.