Stuffing Box

Previous topic - Next topic

Stejank

Hi, Anybody have any experience repacking their stuffing box? I've repacked, tightened and have about 6-7 drips per minute, yet still feels hot to touch after a few minutes running with engine in gear. I've read it should only drip about 2-3 per minute and not feel too hot to touch. Any insight or advice out there? I appreciate it.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI've repacked, tightened and have about 6-7 drips per minute, yet still feels hot to touch after a few minutes running with engine in gear.

Something is wrong.  Would not run it if too hot to touch, must be too tight.  I've repacked several and never had a problem.  I think you need to repack, inspect the shaft for scoring, use care cutting the rings at an angle, make sure they are not twisted when installed, and sneak-up on the adjustment.  That is to say start a little loose and adjust as needed.  Once the packing is over adjusted it may not loosen when adjusted back. 
Think there's excellent instructions here or google.  Or best check Maine Sail
www.marinehowto.com/re-packing-a-traditional-stuffing-box/

Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

One more thing.  If it was my job to do would not try to reuse the packing, would buy new if I had to.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Stejank,

I agree with Jim, It's probably too tight, I'd start by backing the packing nut off in increments to see if it will cool down, I wouldn't worry about drips at this point. You can still use your boat with a drippy stuffing box if it stays cool. If backing the nut won't cool down the box you'll probably have to repack the box. If that cools the box but it still drips more than usual, if there's room, you could try adding an additional ring of packing.

The important thing is the heat not the drips. I used to my make myself crazy trying to get the ideal drip rate, but now if it's somewhere in the ballpark I don't worry about it. I'd say my stuffing box when motoring drips about 15 to 20 times a minute, but it runs cool even after four hours of motoring.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stejank

Thank you Jim and SCGunner. My initial reason for repacking, other than I'm the new owner and don't know when last time it was repacked, was because I was having excessive leaking to the point where I'd have 1-2 inches of water in my bilge every day. Stuffing box leaked for days after using boat/engine. SC, does yours drip after engine if off and cooled down?
I will take your advice and drip it till it stays cool, and if still excess dripping, I will repack will new material as you suggested. I have seen the link you sent, so thank you for that as well. I like the idea of using that piece of pic to set packing in place and want to try that.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stej : Did you stagger the cuts in the rings 180 degrees??  You made sure all the old packing was removed?

I took a #2 pensile (squared off end) and cut/flattened both sides so it fit between the inside of the gland and the shaft.  I used that as a "tamper" and tamped in each ring with the cuts staggered 180 degrees.  I took a razorblade and made the rings cuts 45 degrees.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I think Ron meant 120 degrees.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Thanks Stu, but I did mine at 180 degrees and forced in 4 rings!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stejank

Thank you all for your insights, experiences, and advice. I just got some of the teflon material, and a pieces of PVC, and plan on trying to repack again. Will cut at 45 degree angle and alternate seams (as I did.) I tried stuffing 4 rings in but could not seat it deep enough to screw stuffing box back on. I will try again using the PVC tool seen in the link you guys provided.

Now someone recommended a lubricating product called Syntef to apply to packing before insertion. Anyone ever hear of, or have experience with Syntef? I have not seen nor heard of this anywhere else.

My initial concern was that I have been constantly getting water in my bilge (about an inch a day) even days after running engine in gear. I finally narrowed it down to the dripping of my stuffing box. It seemed to be dripping all the time. So, I will take the advice of not worrying too much about drip rate while running and concentrate on heat rate. But I do want drip to stop after a reasonable amount of time after running.

Thank you all again. Please post any advice about Syntef.

Ron Hill

Stej : Have you made sure that all of the old packing has been removed??

I made myself a tool out of a piece of cloths hanger.  Bent the tip about 1/4", sharpened the end to make a tip and cleaned out the old packing.  Worked Great!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stejank

Yes Ron, I had removed old stuffing. Used a dental tool I had and it worked great. And I did have a clothes hanger standing by, just in case! Good advice.