Diesel Heater

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

I don't have the return air duct installed yet. Right now it's drawing air from inside the aft locker and works fine except for the locker order. The plan is to draw return air from the aft berth.

Unfortunately the site doesn't like iPhone pics. I'll have to post when I get back to my laptop.

pjcomeau

Thanks,

I caught this thread just in time. I like this location better then in the cockpit locker where I was getting everything ready (have a nice looking mounting base put together).

Is your unit at an angle or just the photo making look that way? How did you mount the bracket to the hull? I going to partly use the mount I put together - actually will just be a piece of wood with bolts in from the back recessed then use 5200 to mount that piece of wood, then bolt the stainless angle bracket I picked up to it. (I think 5200 should do the job).
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

mark_53

Quote from: pjcomeau on April 08, 2021, 11:21:23 AM
Thanks,

I caught this thread just in time. I like this location better then in the cockpit locker where I was getting everything ready (have a nice looking mounting base put together).

Is your unit at an angle or just the photo making look that way? How did you mount the bracket to the hull? I going to partly use the mount I put together - actually will just be a piece of wood with bolts in from the back recessed then use 5200 to mount that piece of wood, then bolt the stainless angle bracket I picked up to it. (I think 5200 should do the job).

The photo makes it look like more of an angle than it is. I mounted using JB Weld because YouTube videos showed good strength on metal, plastic, and wood.  It also is thicker than 5200 which I hear is runny.  I purchased a stainless bracket on Ebay from Butler Tek in the UK and mounted it to 3/4" plywood square about 4"x4".  If I was to do it again, I'd probably glass the plywood to the hull just for the piece of mind.  The pump makes a ticking sound so I mounted it aft of the fuel tank.  Three registers in the main cabin gets plenty of hot air through.

pjcomeau

Thanks,

I got a bracket from them too. Nice solid stainless L bracket. Your right that 5200 might be a little runny even with just the weight of the board and two bolts (without bracket at that point). I will have to pick a method this weekend  :D . I will post pictures of what I did once all done.
Pierre Comeau

mark_53

Quote from: pjcomeau on April 08, 2021, 11:45:46 AM
Thanks,

I got a bracket from them too. Nice solid stainless L bracket. Your right that 5200 might be a little runny even with just the weight of the board and two bolts (without bracket at that point). I will have to pick a method this weekend  :D . I will post pictures of what I did once all done.

I'm not sure what your 2 bolts recessed into the back of the board are for.  Maybe unique to your heater? I used 4 stainless wood screws to attach the bracket to the board.

pjcomeau

Mark,

I meant 4 bolts permanently there (then slide bracket on them and put nut and washer) versus 4 screws. Sometimes I overthink things :) .
Pierre Comeau