We lost Guido at Garhauer...

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

I called Garhauer today to speak to Guido about a special order deck block and the gal I was speaking to let me know that he died of Covid about a week ago.  She said he went quickly predominately due to his age.  I'm glad that I was able to work with him for a few things on my boat before he passed.  He was such a wealth of information for our era of boats.  I'm sad we lost him.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

I am sorry to hear this as I just ordered the traveler upgrade from him a couple of weeks ago. He was very nice to me.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Dave Spencer

Sorry to hear this news.  Guido knew his business and would go out of his way to help anyone.  I remember speaking to him at some length at the Toronto Boat Show a few years ago and then again on the phone a couple of times regarding new deck organizers for our boat... a relatively low dollar item, but he provided me with his attention and expertise nonetheless.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

glennd3

Dave called me about an order I have pending with them. He said Guido got sick after xmas, was 87.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Jeff Kaplan

Wow, thats really sad news, this f'n disease has ruined everything. When I bought Sedona Sunset, 1986,  17 years ago, I worked with Guido to upgrade all turning blocks,main sheet block set up, clutches, new traveler, boom vang blocks, bow spring rollers, he went out of his way to help me.  He was the guru for the older boats, also knew everything  for the newer ones. RIP Guido.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

lazybone

I didn't know guido but I talked to him on the phone a few times.   Very nice guy.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

csimmerling

oh no!! so sad.
I had been putting off calling him this winter to replace my mainsheet blocks, and now it's really sad to look at my to-do list and see his name.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

waughoo

Quote from: csimmerling on January 20, 2021, 02:58:54 PM
oh no!! so sad.
I had been putting off calling him this winter to replace my mainsheet blocks, and now it's really sad to look at my to-do list and see his name.

I had a similar experience clearing my voicemail yesterday.  I had a vm from him regarding the traveler i recently bought and it was a jolt to hear his voice knowing he was no longer around.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte